Can one Greenback clone handle the power?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

jcr1234
Unrated

Can one Greenback clone handle the power?

Post by jcr1234 »

If I run my 18 watt into a single Greenback (25 watt) clone, can it handle the power or am I in danger of blowing it?
0 x

PaulBlandford
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PaulBlandford »

I think you're right on the money. However (as you probably know) expect to have the speaker break up some too. Some like it, some don't. I personally don't. I prefer it if a speaker doesn't "run out of steam" before the amp reaches it's sweet spot...

Question is: Is that sweet spot where the amp starts to sound nice and work proper, or is it where the amp is as loud as it can be, before the speaker starts to sound rough?

At full tilt, the Heritage Greenback i had in a 1974X loved one particular bass note but sounded rough on every other note below A440. Admittedly it was one of the best "A" notes I have ever heard. ha ha!!

-Paul
0 x

cGil
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by cGil »

Had a 20w Heritage Greenback in mine that has survived a few gigs. It does sound awesome, but I was worried so I recently swapped it out for a Heritage G12H-30. Pretty similar, really; except it's a teensy bit louder now, and much mo bettah with Lesters thanks to the tighter bottom thing going on. And no more worries.

Gil...
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Guitar speakers and hi-fi speakers seem to be rated differently, or maybe it's because the frequency range and dynamics they handle are very different. In any case the end result is that Greenback speakers run perfectly happily in Marshall 18W amps - even the 20W Heritage ones. I happen to have a single vintage 25W Greenback in my main gigging combo. One thing to remember is that a Marshall 18W only gives 13W MS clean power out. Even 15W Celestion Blues seem to manage OK, maybe due to the Alnico compression/back-EMF effect, although I do get a little nervous there.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

jcr1234
Unrated

Post by jcr1234 »

Ok, Im a little confused. Assume I play the amp dimed all the time, does that change things? I know an 18 watt puts out a lot more than 18 watts when its dimed, but Im not sure If I can be worry free with the Greenback or not?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

No, it works fine. What I said I was a little nervous about was using a single 15W rated Celeston Blue, not a Greenback. Bear in mind that a lot of 18W amp players play them dimed all the time. And after all these years, you hardly ever hear of a Greenback blowing up, even the Heritage 20W version. I can't actually think of a single instance. And like I said the actual measured clean power output of these amps is 13W not 18W. So maybe we should be saying that we know the amp puts out a lot more than 13W when it's cranking.
cGil wrote:...I recently swapped it out for a Heritage G12H-30. Pretty similar, really; except it's a teensy bit louder now, and much mo bettah with Lesters thanks to the tighter bottom thing going on.
+1 G12H-30s are my personal favourite for an 18W.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

morcey2
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by morcey2 »

One of the most wonderous sounds in the world is the sound of a greenback in a (non-square) sealed cab being pushed real hard by an 18-watt. It'll handle it. And sound great in the process.

Matt
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

I don't think Marshall would sell the re-issue with a single 20W greenback if they failed at even a 1% rate because of the potential warranty expenses.
0 x

jcr1234
Unrated

Post by jcr1234 »

You guys are awesome, thanks!!!
0 x

PepeJara
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PepeJara »

I my experience, a single greenback in a open cab is a little weak for a gig...I don´t mean it will blow, I mean the bass notes are flubby, and I think it can not handle the power properly (in a closed cab would be a different story). I have a greenback in mine 'cause I use it at home with pedals (it has a mellower tone than G12H for home use), if gigging with it I would install a G12H, it is also my giggin favourite speaker :wink: .
0 x

cGil
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by cGil »

After pulling my greenback out of my combo and putting it in a closed back StageCraft 1x12 cab, it's not as flubby as it was before. It really likes that closed back cab! (Thanks again, Anthony!)

Even so, my 18watt is still way too loud in my 2-car-size converted garage without a VVR; but I know what you mean about the G12H in the house. That one is perfect for cutting though the mix at gigs, while the G12M is definitely my favorite in the house cuz it's a little easier on the ears with its earlier compression curve.

Gil...
0 x

insanecopilot
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by insanecopilot »

I am in the process of breaking in a green beret 25 watter in my lite2 combo that is semi open back. So far so good. I dont think i can blow it, its helt up fine so far.
0 x