Vintage 30 Cab Design

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

PaulBlandford
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PaulBlandford »

I don't know why it wouldn't let me upload it. it's only 104k. Thank you for doing that Andreas.
-Paul
0 x

PaulBlandford
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PaulBlandford »

krx wrote:
zip008 wrote:I am curious why you believe a small horn configuration would not be particularly suited to guitar. (Perhaps Mr Klipsch would disagree...lol)
I'm not aware of Klipsch ever making guitar speakers... Guitar drivers wouldn't work very well in horn cabinets because their QTS values are too high.

rough guidelines for QTS:
> 0.7 -- open
~ 0.7 -- sealed
0.3-0.7 -- bass reflex (aka ported)
< 0.3 -- horn

Most guitar speakers have a QTS of 0.7 or higher.
I know you're probably right on the money technically, but sometimes the damnedest things happen when you ignore the numbers. Not that I know anything of the science, nor personally want to. But imagine if we abide by the recommended operating parameters/numbers of vacuum tubes?

-Paul
0 x

PaulBlandford
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PaulBlandford »

Finally got around to some pics...
The speaker is mounted higher in the baffle in this cab, than the one in the drawing. I can't remember why I settled on that. Also you can't see the opening over the top of the baffle in these images, it's too tight to get the camera in there.
Last edited by PaulBlandford on Sun 12/13/09 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

PaulBlandford
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PaulBlandford »

More... details
0 x

PaulBlandford
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PaulBlandford »

Couple more
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

PaulBlandford wrote:
krx wrote:
zip008 wrote:I am curious why you believe a small horn configuration would not be particularly suited to guitar. (Perhaps Mr Klipsch would disagree...lol)
I'm not aware of Klipsch ever making guitar speakers... Guitar drivers wouldn't work very well in horn cabinets because their QTS values are too high.

rough guidelines for QTS:
> 0.7 -- open
~ 0.7 -- sealed
0.3-0.7 -- bass reflex (aka ported)
< 0.3 -- horn

Most guitar speakers have a QTS of 0.7 or higher.
I know you're probably right on the money technically, but sometimes the damnedest things happen when you ignore the numbers. Not that I know anything of the science, nor personally want to. But imagine if we abide by the recommended operating parameters/numbers of vacuum tubes?

-Paul
Generally I would agree, but it's pretty indisputable that the low end on a high QTS speaker will sound like crap in a (true) horn enclosure. :)
0 x