Speaker advice for 4x12

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

deadbeat3200 wrote:I tell you now, my 18 watter is loud. I am used to playing my Rivera Knucklehead 100 watt, but since I have completed my 18 watt, it is all I need. I eat the other guitarist for lunch volume wise and he has a 1969 Super Reverb! I only have the volume on 6 or 7 and it is a bit too loud. The bass player keeps telling me to turn down but I do not. I play loud ROCKING music and I just can't believe the volume and tone from my 18 watt amp. I had a DR Z Carmen Ghia once, it had nowhere near the volume or tone of my amp.
Not really a fair comparison considering the Super Reverbs came with really inefficient CTS speakers and the Ghia has the conjunctive filter which drops a few dBs (and who knows what speaker it was through). Nevertheless, with the right speaker, 18W is PLENTY. I played a cathode-biased 2x6V6 1x12 combo for years with a band and I could overpower the drummer and the bass player's 300W Eden if I wanted to.
deadbeat3200 wrote:The bass player keeps telling me to turn down but I do not.
:thumbsup:
0 x

dgriff

Post by dgriff »

0 x

belch

Post by belch »

Ben32 wrote:Let's hope they arrive in good condition!
They should do i've packed em well enough. :D
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

krx wrote:Not really a fair comparison considering the Super Reverbs came with really inefficient CTS speakers and the Ghia has the conjunctive filter which drops a few dBs....
It's still valid as a comparison against a couple of other fiarly well-known amps as a reference point.
jawdrop

Sell your grandmother and buy them. Those are the holy grail of guitar speakers.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

zaphod_phil wrote:
krx wrote:Not really a fair comparison considering the Super Reverbs came with really inefficient CTS speakers and the Ghia has the conjunctive filter which drops a few dBs....
It's still valid as a comparison against a couple of other fiarly well-known amps as a reference point.
I think it's a valid comparison if you qualify it with the fact that speakers make a huge difference in perceived volume. I could play an 18W through a couples Blues and a JTM 45 through a couple Greenbacks and the 18 would probably sound louder due to the brighter, higher efficiency speaker. Plus those CTS speakers in the late 60s Supers were really inefficient, something like 93 db/W/m.

An 18 and a Ghia through the same speakers should be very similar in power level, with the 18 maybe having a slight edge due to the conjunctive filter. The 18, however, will cut through better, and that's the more significant thing really.
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

...to be fair i don't own an 18 watt yet, so i can't tell you how loud they are. i do plan on trying to build one this winter.... but, i do own a tiny terror(2x el84) and i guarantee you it won't keep up with a hard hitting rock drummer, not in my opinion. i used to have a jcm800 50 watt(the undesirable type, 2205?), and it was barely loud enough to keep up with the drums. i have an old traynor ygl-mkIII(4x 6ca7) and i guarantee it is loud as hell, probably louder, but i haven't jammed with it as of yet.
way back in the day i had a fender transistor 100 watt(stage lead II), and it did the job ok with drums too
i guess the guys i have played with were all too loud. one guy used big deep sonors which are probably loud drums no matter who is behind them. i'm just an amature/garage rocker, so maybe i have always just placed the equipment poorly or something. but when i say "not loud enough" i mean of course in a rehearsal room, with a rock drummer, without a mic and a PA....obviously with a good PA it doesn't really matter how loud your amp is or is not
i'll probably be asking a lot of advice/chiming in in the coming months on this build and i hope you don't get weary of me
cheers
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

nyazzip wrote:...to be fair i don't own an 18 watt yet, so i can't tell you how loud they are. i do plan on trying to build one this winter.... but, i do own a tiny terror(2x el84) and i guarantee you it won't keep up with a hard hitting rock drummer, not in my opinion. i used to have a jcm800 50 watt(the undesirable type, 2205?), and it was barely loud enough to keep up with the drums.
No offense, but I cannot possibly imagine how a JCM800 would not be loud enough to keep up with anyone. I used to play a tweed Super (~30W) through alnico 10s (~96 db efficient) and it was too loud to crank with even the loudest drummer. Have you considered the possibility that you shouldn't stand right next to the crash cymbal? ;)
0 x

dgriff

Post by dgriff »

I'm not bidding on those Phil, way to spendy for me at the moment, and the wife would kill me! If I was I wouldn't have given you guys the heads up! :lol:
It looks like he will ship internationally, so good luck.

Although, If some wealthy soul from the other side of the pond were to win them, cut a deal with a manufacturer and have THE definitive clone made................(Dream sequence) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

dgriff wrote:I'm not bidding on those Phil, way to spendy for me at the moment, and the wife would kill me!
Well, sell her too! Just a matter of getting your priorities sorted out. :lol:
dgriff wrote:Although, If some wealthy soul from the other side of the pond were to win them, cut a deal with a manufacturer and have THE definitive clone made................(Dream sequence) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8
Scumback has apparently only done that already - http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/scumnico.html#s12
Tayden's A Series also looks promising - http://www.audioloudspeakers.co.uk/tayden_guitar.shtml
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Ben32
Unrated

Post by Ben32 »

belch wrote:
Ben32 wrote:Let's hope they arrive in good condition!
They should do i've packed em well enough. :D
Thanks belch :thumbsup:
0 x

busterc
Unrated

Post by busterc »

Personally - I like 4 greenbacks, it's the classic 4x12
0 x