Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

andersom
Unrated

Idea for 2X12 cab Slanted

Post by andersom »

Hi all,

First of all Happy Newyear!
I'm new here, enjoying all the information and dicussions...
i'm currently building an 18 watt from Valvepower.
I currently dont have an cab so i want to build 1 myself.

I Have an idea for a new to build cab. I saw a similar cab at Gabtone
Here's a picture:

I want to fill it with an G12H30 and an ???

Any suggestions towards the dimensions???
Is this the right way to go?
Closed or Halfclosed?

Thanks in advance!
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

keep in mind those large handles leak a lot of sound, unless you cover them up on the inside with some sort of dampening material. i have been tempted to try asphalt roofing material as a dampener but it might be stinky. on a 2x12 a set of sturdy straps would suffice for transport, and that way you don't need big square holes in your box
as far as dimensions, it is nice to have the top surface as wide as your amp head is long, if you plan to set the head on top, but then you are approaching the size of a 4x12 box
i made 2 wedge style 2x12s, and i end up using them "on end". looks funny with a long head on top though. one is semi-open, one is closed. they both have their pros and cons but i like the open sound a lot more(but i play clean alot). with a completely sealed cab it is probably wise to do some math and get the volumes right and do some damping/porting, or you might have an obnoxious sounding speaker box. open back, anything goes
if i did it again(and i probably will), i would make one with an easily-removable back panel(wing nuts?). as long as you use a gasket/soft seal, you don't need to bolt on the panel with 2 dozen screws, even 4 would suffice with an 18 watt amp
0 x

andersom
Unrated

Post by andersom »

Thanks for your response!
If i would go for a openback would the whole or half of the panel to be open?
I really would like to have a choice so i probbably would a back panel wich i can be open or closed.

I think i will end up with an G12H30 and an V30.
0 x

Chubsman
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Chubsman »

I suggest you look at this: Click the arrows to advance...

http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?set_a ... _photo.php
0 x

GibsonGM
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by GibsonGM »

Hi,

I did a similar cab not long ago; I used the 'typical' 2x12 combo cab drawing that I think is in the downloads section.
I tipped the baffle in, so that it is about 5" in from the edge. The lower part of the baffle sits in about 2". I think this represents something like 18 degrees, BTW.
Sounds good, and I hear myself a little better on stage. I'd recommend trying a closed back, then prepare to cut it down to 'warm up' the cab (it will be fairly trebly w/a fully-closed back). I am going to cut the middle out of the back, so to speak, so there will be a piece across the top and bottom, still to be determined. Play around, you'll get the results you want!

I'd go with the advice above, too, about maybe mounting exterior strap handles....
0 x

andersom
Unrated

Post by andersom »

Thanks all for the responses.

Chubsman what are dimensions you used for your cab?
0 x

Chubsman
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Chubsman »

I did not build tat cab, it is from Igbit's gallery. He mentionned in another thread that he can supply the dimensions...
0 x