Sica Loudspeakers?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

RufusTF
Unrated

Sica Loudspeakers?

Post by RufusTF »

I just got some tubes from AES and with them came an ad for sica loudspeakers. I searched this and another forum for some info about them and so far have not come up with anything. Anyone use these or know anything about them? They're pretty cheap, and are supposedly made in the Jensen factory.
I have one, soon to be two amps built that need something to drive and thought I'd check up on these before I shell out the big $$ for alnicos or tone tubbys or whatever seems best.
Thanks-
J
0 x

sdp1234
Unrated

Post by sdp1234 »

I was looking for information of Mojotone black beauty's 10". found that they were made by Sica.

They sound pretty good.

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cgi-bi ... 10100.html
0 x

nigelb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nigelb »

Sica speakers are made in the Jensen factory in Italy. I have only seen them at AES and CEDist (same company) and they handle big power. Pricewise they seem to fit in above the Jensen Mods series but under the Vintage series.

The Mojo one shown looks suspiciously like a re-badged Jensen Mod 10-70.

I have tried neither so cannot comment on sound.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Anyone tried this Sica 12"?

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/fox ... -SLD12-100

DIRT CHEAP at $36! The specs look decent though I'm a bit worried about the 10kHz-20kHz region.

Maybe next time I order enough parts for free shipping I'll check it out...
0 x

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by rock_mumbles »

I just ordered one, the magnet etc. are exactly the same as the Mod 12-110, but the response is a bit different might have a different cone? I've had a Mod 12-70 in a Behringer amp and had another that I gave to my brother they are pretty nice sounding speakers so if this is anything like the 12-70 it should be a good deal.

BTW they only have them in 16 ohm but that's OK with me. OH and yes I would try it out with my 18W ;)
Last edited by rock_mumbles on Tue 02/02/10 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Let us know what you think of it once you've played it a bit :)
0 x

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by rock_mumbles »

So I got the Sica speaker today, pretty heavy magnet, I just hope the frame is strong enough (it probably wouldn't take much of a drop).

First impressions it sounds pretty good for being brand new and not broken in, you have to remember I'm not a guitar player, I'm better with a soldering iron than with a guitar.

I compared it to my "shop" speaker a 12" Carvin British 100 (Eminence made almost 10 years old??) the two sound pretty similar, the Carvin seems like it's a bit warmer in the low mids and has maybe a little better bell top end, the Sica is a little thinner and brighter. Now I need to get some dB through it to loosen it up a bit and plug it in and find someone to play guitar.

All in all I'd say I think it's worth the $36 price.
0 x