NS Mullard EL84 Reissue

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

neon333

NS Mullard EL84 Reissue

Post by neon333 »

Just popped a pair in my amp and played for about 10 minutes and I really like them so far. Rich, creamy, and smooth is how I would describe them. Great low end and really nice high end definition. Had JJ's in previously and they always sounded a bit harsh and brittle to my ears.

I'm having some folks over tonight for a jam session so I'll let you all know what I think about them after some extended "real life" use. I'll be playing strats, teles, LP's etc., so I should be able to see how they do with single coils vs. humbuckers.

Anyone else have any opinion/experience with these tubes?
0 x

timbo_93631
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by timbo_93631 »

I have these in my amp (18w Trem w/ 5E3 normal channel) at first I got a matched set offa fleabay but then read a thread that explained having them mismatched is better for cathode biased amps as long as they are not too far apart so I got a second matched set and used 1 tube from each set. In essence I have 2 identical "mismatched" sets. I am really happy, and when the set I am using now is done I should be able to cop the same vibe from my other set. They are great IMO, miles better than the JJ's that came with my GDS kit. I keep the JJ's as my startup tubes for new builds though, cause I wouldn't be sad if I fried one and they are supposed to be pretty rugged.
0 x

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

Had a set I got from Ceriatone in my 18W for 2 years now and I think they sound great.
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

creamy, huh....what's the tannin level like? any leather or black currant notes in the finish...? :twisted:
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Anyone measured how these bias up compared to the JJs?

Also, anyone tried the new Gold Lions yet?
http://tubedepot.com/gl-n709.html
Really expensive for new small bottles! That means they must sound at least twice as good, right? :wink:
0 x

insanecopilot
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by insanecopilot »

krx wrote:Anyone measured how these bias up compared to the JJs?

Really expensive for new small bottles! That means they must sound at least twice as good, right? :wink:
I saw some good reviews on the gold lions from the tube stereo forums, but i haven't seen any reviews from guitar amp guys. I just ordered another pair of the new Mullards which i think are warmer and smoother. than jj's. They also breakup earlier with a nice grind full bore.
0 x

Scorch
Unrated

Post by Scorch »

I put a set of Gold Lions into a Mezza Blue Angel, changing out some old Mezza EL84s. Completely transformed the amp. Chime, 3D swirl, beautiful tone. I had changed every tube on the chassis and was getting small incremental improvements in tone. The Gold Lions were a huge jump in tonal goodness. An impulse buy, that usually gets me in trouble but this worked out great. The JJ 6V6s' now sound flat in comparison.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Scorch wrote:

I put a set of Gold Lions into a Mezza Blue Angel, changing out some old Mezza EL84s. Completely transformed the amp. Chime, 3D swirl, beautiful tone. I had changed every tube on the chassis and was getting small incremental improvements in tone. The Gold Lions were a huge jump in tonal goodness. An impulse buy, that usually gets me in trouble but this worked out great. The JJ 6V6s' now sound flat in comparison.
Thanks for the report. How do they sound driven hard?
0 x

Archer

Post by Archer »

Scorch wrote: I put a set of Gold Lions into a Mezza Blue Angel, changing out some old Mezza EL84s. Completely transformed the amp. Chime, 3D swirl, beautiful tone. I had changed every tube on the chassis and was getting small incremental improvements in tone. The Gold Lions were a huge jump in tonal goodness. An impulse buy, that usually gets me in trouble but this worked out great. The JJ 6V6s' now sound flat in comparison.
Are you talking about the reissues because Hotrox are selling the Gold Lions for £20 for one EL84.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Archer wrote:Are you talking about the reissues because Hotrox are selling the Gold Lions for £20 for one EL84.
Yeah, re-issues. Originals go for at least ten times that amount 8O. That's more than all the other parts in my amps combined.
0 x

Scorch
Unrated

Post by Scorch »

krx wrote:
Scorch wrote:

Thanks for the report. How do they sound driven hard?
Wonderful. Compress nicely, no harshness. Maintains chime right up to limit. This is with no change to the cathode bias resistors. These are the new Gold Lions. Got them from The Tube Store before they ran out. This amp is a beater I got for $400. Spent a hundred bucks on the Gold Lions. It looks like it went on 10 world tours without a travel case but it works perfect. Original C90 speaker WELL broken in. My only problem now is what to do about the 6V6s'. They sound lame in comparison. Thinking about putting some of those new Tung-Sol 5881s' in there. Heard good things about those and the oversized OT in the BA could handle it.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Cool, thanks for the info. I may have to try some. From the ad copy at least it sounds like they are using better quality materials to manufacture them. I think that's why the NOS tubes sound better -- better materials (maybe some toxic ones we're not supposed to use nowadays :lol:). I'll pony up for NOS preamp tubes since they last forever, but it's hard to spend NOS money on power tubes that are just going to wear out...
0 x

neon333

Post by neon333 »

Well, I've had them in for a while and they are very musical and consistent. I can swap pre-amp tubes and still hear these as what they are. Very warm, and good articulation on the high and low side. Do they break up sooner?...than JJ's? Yes, but they are far more articulate.

They really sang in the jam session. Very Duane like tones; deep, rich and vocal. My 2cents!
0 x