krx - question for you

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

JdJ

krx - question for you

Post by JdJ »

I recall reading in one of the speaker forum threads that you were getting a WGS Reaper HP a couple months ago. What are your impressions vs a G12H now that you have had it for a bit? I'm trying to weigh Hellatone 30 vs Reaper - and there really isn't too much of a $$ difference.

Thanks,

Josh
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Not sure what I wrote back then :lol: but it's the Reaper 55 Hz that I've tried, not the HP. It's thick like a milkshake. Would be excellent with a strat to fatten up the tone or if you want a dark crunchy overdrive. Probably a little too dark to use on its own for clean tones with humbuckers though.

I haven't used the regular Reaper either, but I've had quite a few Warehouse speakers and they're all as good as (and in some cases better) than the new Celestions. Never tried a Hellatone though, which is a Celestion with some special cone treatment I believe. Another good option is the Mojo version of the G12H30.

By the way, if you do go Warehouse, get it from Sonset Beach on eBay and you can use the Bing cashback thing and get 8% off. They just drop ship the speakers direct from Warehouse anyways. Can you tell I like Warehouse? :D
0 x

JdJ

Post by JdJ »

Thanks for the reply and the tip! I was thinking the HP was the 55, but that's what i get for relying on my memory. Sounds like I should go for something a bit more "moderate" treble wise although I use mostly the bridge humbucker when gigging in my rock band - otherwise there's too much overlap with the Hammond.

Cheers,

Josh
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

JdJ wrote:Thanks for the reply and the tip! I was thinking the HP was the 55, but that's what i get for relying on my memory. Sounds like I should go for something a bit more "moderate" treble wise although I use mostly the bridge humbucker when gigging in my rock band - otherwise there's too much overlap with the Hammond.

Cheers,

Josh
The HP should be a little smother on the top end than the regular Reaper because of the higher power handling. I think you can hear this effect in the clips on their site.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

The Hellatone 30 is a Celestion G12H-30 that has gone through Avatar's break in process. I've bought a few and they sound the same as a normal G12H-30 after about 50 hours of playing.

Speakers are such a funny thing, in that each will work in the right amp. And then there's guys like Derek Trucks using Utah speakers, which are pretty junky to me; but he makes them work great.
0 x

JdJ

Post by JdJ »

rjgtr wrote:but he makes them work great.
Aint that the truth!

I really wish that these speaker manufacturing sites would record a direct signal and then reamp through various speakers maintaining the same effects/mic location/ preamp etc. Not that these comparisons can be objective, I just have a hard time comparing speakers when one clip is sweep-picked shredding through a 100 watt Marshall and the next is a guy strumming through a Mesa Lone Star.
rjgtr wrote:The Hellatone 30 is a Celestion G12H-30 that has gone through Avatar's break in process. I've bought a few and they sound the same as a normal G12H-30 after about 50 hours of playing.
That's what I was imagining, and they seem to be very reasonable, so I guess they make more sense than one that says "Celestion" unless you need the resaleability (not a word...)

I'm really just trying to find something for this Epiphone 1x12 ext cab. I'm not digging the LL that came in it. I like my well broken in Vintage 10s 100 times more, but those belong to an other amp...
0 x

jcny

Post by jcny »

If you ever need to sell the Avatars just peel their label off the back, the original Clelstion label is underneath. :D

Or at least they are on mine :wink:
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

jcny wrote:If you ever need to sell the Avatars just peel their label off the back, the original Clelstion label is underneath. :D

Or at least they are on mine :wink:
They're using better labels now, so you might need to use a heat gun to soften the glue. I tried pealing off a label on one year old speaker and the Celestion label started coming up too... :?
0 x

WesKuhnley
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by WesKuhnley »

FWIW, Warehouse is great. I suspect that the 55Hz Reaper started as the custom speaker I was getting from WGS, to give our open-backed combo's a bit more girth. I think we ranted and raved about it enough that they released it to the public.

I prefer the 55Hz in open-backed cabs, and the 75Hz in closed back or ported applications. Ported cabs drive me nuts, so that only happens by client request. Mixing a 55Hz and an Alnico like their Blackhawk 100 results in total perfection...loud, balanced, punchy and chimy, just enough mids to stand out in the mix.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

WesKuhnley wrote:FWIW, Warehouse is great. I suspect that the 55Hz Reaper started as the custom speaker I was getting from WGS, to give our open-backed combo's a bit more girth. I think we ranted and raved about it enough that they released it to the public.
Very cool. What's your amp company?

Warehouses I've tried: Blackhawk, Black and Blue (current fave), Reaper 55 Hz, Green Beret, Veteran 30.

Ones I didn't like:
0 x

WesKuhnley
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by WesKuhnley »

Resonant Amplifiers. Website needs many updates...www.resonantelectronic.com.
0 x