Speaker recommendation for Trinity Plexi head

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

mlherbe
Unrated

Speaker recommendation for Trinity Plexi head

Post by mlherbe »

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a speaker
specifically that would sound good with the Trinity 18 watt plexi head?
This head had more overdrive than the other Trinity heads.

Right now I am leaning toward a 12" Tone Tubby Ceramic or a 12" Celestion G12H.

I am building a 2x12 cabinet that will be detuned a la Kevin O'Connor.
So I will only load 1 speaker in the cabinet.

I want this amp to rock like Rocket From the Crypt or Fugazi or say
Foo fighters if you haven't heard of those. I don't like a heavy metal
sound though.

This is my first build so I can't wait. Any and all recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

The Tubby or the G12H30 won't get you Fugazi or Foo Fighter sounds. You need a more modern speaker for that. I'd try something like the Celestion G12T-75. I guarantee you Fugazi just used whatever came stock in their 80s Marshall cabs (longtime DC rock person here). The only modification they made was to rip the logos off.
0 x

Snapcase
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Snapcase »

AFAIK, The Foos use V30s. About Fugazi, Mackaye had an early 800 stock cab, so probably loaded with G12-65. No idea what Picciotto had in his Park cab. By the time his gear was made regular Marshalls had G12H-30s so, probably Parks too. You'd probably get some better info in the Doyle book. But in resume, Quite different speakers. Sometimes is all in the right hand.

Mike Soldano told a nice story about Van Halen playing a show with the personal Soldano's early Matamp/Orange stacks and still sounded pure EVH without his Plexis. Don't get fooled and have a listen to them all and choose the one that pleases you better.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Snapcase wrote:AFAIK, The Foos use V30s. About Fugazi, Mackaye had an early 800 stock cab, so probably loaded with G12-65. No idea what Picciotto had in his Park cab. By the time his gear was made regular Marshalls had G12H-30s so, probably Parks too. You'd probably get some better info in the Doyle book. But in resume, Quite different speakers. Sometimes is all in the right hand.
Wondering how many times you saw Fugazi in Spain ;) I grew up with that stuff. JCM 800, standard mid-80s to mid-90s Marshall cabs (i.e. G12-75Ts). Maybe Picciotto played a Park sometimes but every time I saw them it was a JCM 800. Picciotto with the Ric with "hi gain" pickups, MacKaye with the SG. The JCM 800 is pretty much the DC amp. Dave Grohl was actually a DC guy too before Nirvana. Owns one of the indie music clubs here.

But yeah, I'd go with the G12-75T for the stuff you described. A G12H30 will be too "vintage" sounding and the Vintage 30 will be a little too metal.
0 x

Snapcase
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Snapcase »

they just came once for a short tour and I wasn't there. :roll:

I like Fugazi but I'm not crazy about them. I have a bunch of friends who are huge fanatics, my two band mates included. They say McKaye had a single amp since he started playing and all along the Fugazi career. I really don't know. You're probably right.

V30s a little too metal? It puts out tons of midrange. The G12T-75 is way more scooped. I'd call G12T-75 as a little more metal. Subjectiveness is funny. :lol:
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I don't think I've ever heard anything by Fugazzi, although I've heard their name mentioned a few times. Now the Foo Fighters, they're right up my street. :) I think they use Meza stuff, so presumably V30s (Meza's special Made in England version).

However, you will get a different vibe with speakers like V30s and G12-75s, which have a high end emphasis, when used with EL84 amps like an 18W. EL84s also have a high end emphasis, so the result will probably be too shrill. I think you would probably get closer to a big Foo Fighters tone with G12H-30s on an 18W.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Snapcase
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Snapcase »

I think you would probably get closer to a big Foo Fighters tone with G12H-30s on an 18W.
+1.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

zaphod_phil wrote:However, you will get a different vibe with speakers like V30s and G12-75s, which have a high end emphasis, when used with EL84 amps like an 18W. EL84s also have a high end emphasis, so the result will probably be too shrill. I think you would probably get closer to a big Foo Fighters tone with G12H-30s on an 18W.
Good point.
0 x

jgab

Post by jgab »

I am a huge Fugazi fan. They are amazing! If you haven't heard of Fugazi, you have to watch the Fugazi Instrument video. You will be a fan after that.

Anyway, I bet McKaye had G12-65 Celestion Rolas in his cab. That is what mine has and I totally nail their sound. The whole reason I bought my JCM 800 was because of Fugazi. I really think you need a JCM 800 to rock like Fugazi. El34 is a totally different beast than a EL84 from what I have expereinced. I have cranked both my JCM 800 and Superlite through my four G12-65 Marshall cab, and there is quite a difference although both sound amazing in their own respect.

G12-65 Rola will get you into Fugazi territory. I think they are hard to find though? I could be wrong? I don't look for something I already own.

J
0 x

Snapcase
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Snapcase »

The G12-65 is currently reissued by Celestion.
0 x