Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog in 18W TMB -- wow!

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

DrLo

Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog in 18W TMB -- wow!

Post by DrLo »

I have an 18W TMB. I just replaced the Weber AlNiCo Silver Bell (15 watt rating, pre-rola doping) that was in it with a Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog (15 watt rating, pre-rola doping).

Differences observed:
  • * Tighter lows
    * More pronounced mids
    * Thicker highs
Not better, just different. Very fun!!!
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

All that nasty dope probably helps keep the highs in check. Not really the classic Blue sound but I see how it could work.
0 x

DrLo

Post by DrLo »

krx wrote:All that nasty dope probably helps keep the highs in check. Not really the classic Blue sound but I see how it could work.
I used to have a Celestion Blue. It's true that the Blue Dog is a tad warmer, but not significantly, and it's in a pleasing way. I still get spectacular chime when playing cleaner.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

DrLo wrote: It's true that the Blue Dog is a tad warmer, but not significantly, and it's in a pleasing way.
To me at least, warmer = good! :)
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

echuta13
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by echuta13 »

Haven't tried a Red Fang with an 18 yet, but they're a bit darker so that might be a good match too...
0 x

what_wires
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by what_wires »

One of my earlier builds had a 15W Weber Blue Dog in it. What a wonderful sounding amp.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

DrLo wrote:
krx wrote:All that nasty dope probably helps keep the highs in check. Not really the classic Blue sound but I see how it could work.
I used to have a Celestion Blue. It's true that the Blue Dog is a tad warmer, but not significantly, and it's in a pleasing way. I still get spectacular chime when playing cleaner.
I guess I just don't understand heavily doping a vintage-style speaker that traditionally didn't have any. Really kills the clean tone, to my ears. I'd rather go with a 30 or 50 Watt voice coil to mellow it out.
0 x

vibroluxious
Unrated

Post by vibroluxious »

I have built a few of these amps and have tried a lot of different speakers and combinations, I have a 30 watt alnico Blue Dog and it is one of my absolute favorites. It has worked well in every amp I have put it in.

They do take a long time to break in though. They sound a bit harsh and thin when new. They open up nicely after about 10 hrs.

I do tend to play on the clean side of the sound scape. For grinding overdrive tones, I prefer speakers more along the lines of Eminence Cannabis Rex.
0 x