Cut a 4 X 12 in half = 2 X 12 ?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Cut a 4 X 12 in half = 2 X 12 ?

Post by stevesuk »

I know Pete Townsend had to get his 8 X 12's cut down to 4 X 12's after complaints from the roadies. There aren't many people wanting 4 X 12's now, so they are going dirt cheap.

I have bought a weirdo Marshall 100W Bass 4 X 12" combo !! It is a straight cab, not slanted. The amp is SS bass with one cap difference to the 100W lead version.

I have already greedily retrieved the four immaculate 1970's G12H's from it for use in 1 X 12" 18W combos..

My attention now turns to the cab. I am considering turning it into 1 or 2 ? 2 X 12' cabs either adapting to combos or as extension speakers.
Has anybody ever carried out such a deed, is it viable ?
I will probably also cut the top bit off and house the 100W bass amp in it.
Don't you just love Fleabay ?

Also, I was in Denmark Street (Londons guitar shop street) today..and the word on the Street is there are 'developments' for a UK company that has been mentioned by code on this forum (like the old english sports car) many times. Watch this space....

Steve UK
www.valvepower.co.uk
0 x

goattech

Post by goattech »

wow dont cut that up. it would be a shame to ruin a vintage amp like that. i say build an 18 watt tmb in there and put casters on it.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: Cut a 4 X 12 in half = 2 X 12 ?

Post by zaphod_phil »

stevesuk wrote:Also, I was in Denmark Street (Londons guitar shop street) today..and the word on the Street is there are 'developments' for a UK company that has been mentioned by code on this forum (like the old english sports car) many times. Watch this space....
You mean this? http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/30985/Musi ... -appointed
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

Actually, Marshall just made him new cabinets. But Entwistle made HIS roadies carry the 8x12s for bass. I guess his roadies were bigger.

Too bad about MG, maybe a little karma in operation...
0 x

stevesuk
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by stevesuk »

zaphod_phil wrote:
stevesuk wrote:Also, I was in Denmark Street (Londons guitar shop street) today..and the word on the Street is there are 'developments' for a UK company that has been mentioned by code on this forum (like the old english sports car) many times. Watch this space....
You mean this? http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/30985/Musi ... -appointed
That's the one Phil, no more antique reproductions for a while then :D

Steve UK
www.valvepower.co.uk
0 x

sonofmyfather
Unrated

Post by sonofmyfather »

stevesuk wrote:
That's the one Phil, no more antique reproductions for a while then :D

Steve UK
www.valvepower.co.uk
Some mixed feelings about this to be honest. Always thought MG overhyped the "mojo" and prices for so called vintage gear which seemed ridiculous to me. That said, I bought my first real guitar and amp from them when they had a shop out in the styx at Stainforth, Doncaster (late 70's early 80's). Apart from Carlsbro..and look where they went, it was the nearest shop for decent equipment. Stacked to the rafters and you could spend ages in there. Think I got a Keep Music Live! sticker as well. :D
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I understand what you're saying. I have to say I was really horrified when I first learnt what other things MG were doing.
sonofmyfather wrote:Always thought MG overhyped the "mojo" and prices for so called vintage gear which seemed ridiculous to me.
They were doing far more than that. Basically, they had a full scale business going on, making forgeries of vintage guitar amps, and selling them as genuine articles. There's a lot of fake vintage Marshall 18W amps out there that came from MG, as well as many other fake Marshall, Vox, Hiwatt and Park models. I have read that they also sold fake vintage guitars, no doubt along side genuine ones. It's simply criminal fraud. Personally, I think some people should be up in court for that, with jail terms or at least community service and a criminal record.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp