Broken-in speakers in Europe

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Snapcase
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Broken-in speakers in Europe

Post by Snapcase »

Is anyone dealing with broken-in Celestion G12H30 like speakers in Europe? Something like Hellatones, Scumbacks or Webers? I want to replace two of my V30s but don't want to spend a whole lot of time breaking-in current production Celestions or taking the custom hassles of importing stuff from outside the EU.

Thanks in advance.
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Nobody that I know of, Sorry.

If you have a spare 6.3v trannie you can break on in yourself easily. Cost wise it would be cheaper to buy a small trannie for breaking in the speakers rather than me buying a speaker and shipping it here, breaking it in and then shipping it to you.

Alternatively if you have a little recording desk/computer program record some guitar chords put it on repeat and play it through the amp while you are out .. probably better than putting a 50hz signal into a speaker anyway.

Mike
0 x

Snapcase
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Snapcase »

Thanks, Mike. I guessed so. :roll:

How long would it take to break-in the current highly doped G12H30s? Are Eminence Red Coats somewhat easier to break-in, or both kinds take about the same? I wouldn't mind to go for any (sweeter sounding than V30s) Red Coat if it takes shorter.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I've heard that the Eminence Red Fang also takes a long time to break in. I don't know about the rest of their Red Coat range. However, if you buy second hand speakers off eBay, they will already be broken in for you. :)
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

katopan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by katopan »

A friend has a 2x12 with a couple of Emi Private Jacks. He let them break in naturally (by playing them) and they took a while to smooth out. No idea how that'd compare with a new G12H30 though.
0 x

Snapcase
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Snapcase »

I've been watching ebay for a while. At least in Germany, where I use to buy most of my gear (ebay Spain, where I live, is wasting time if looking for decent stuff), old H30s don't hail often and usually in doubtable condition. While new used H30s are even harder to find. They seem to be keepers!

Yesterday I've found a kind of dream came true cab. A 1960TV loaded with H30 Heritages. That bigger and taller cab perfect to get detuned. I wouldn't mind to take the time to smooth out that one, but it's pick up only... in Germany :?

My band mate and me were using a couple of Marshall VBC412 (400 watt) bass cabs. Those speakers inside sound very good but have a quite low sensitivity. Something like 97 dB. Not a problem when we were using well pushed 60 watters, but not that good now we have switched to 18 watt heads. The very high power rating and the low sensitivity make them sound a bit sterile. The current V30 loaded 2X12" I'm using make the 18 watts to be loud enough and cutting though quite well, but I find them very ear fatiguing after twenty minutes or so, and I miss the 4x12" projection filling the room. I need to be right in front of my cab but I cannot stand the V30s scorching my ears. I have to move away from the direct beam but then I can only hear my band mate's 4x12" (still using that VBC412). It never happened to me when I used my former cab. I heard myself quite well all around the room.

I need a solution but don't know what to do... keep on searching.

And I'm open to opinions and ideas too.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Try eBay UK. I think you will do better with that one.

Where are you in Spain BTW? In the past I spent quite a lot of time in Malaga province.
0 x

Snapcase
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Snapcase »

Yes, I'm watching Ebay UK too. And looking for Goodmans Audiom 12P-G as well. I want to try that combination if I have the chance, A 12P-G and an H30 to see what happens.

Malaga? Where in Malaga? Nice torrid place! I'm currently living in Madrid though I'm from the rainy northwest; Galicia. :P
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Mainly along the south coast, where my in-laws had a car rental business. I now have a few Spanish relatives. :) Been a few times to Barcelona and Madrid as well, mainly on business, and I have a niece in Barcelona.

I have a few nice vintage Celestions I got from eBay UK, when I used to live over there. No need for breaking in. :)
0 x

bluesderek
Unrated

Post by bluesderek »

ProGuitar, Germany (worldwideweb proguitar dot de) carries WGS (Warehouse Guitar Speakers) speakers that have a very good reputation. The WGS Veteran 30 is supposed to sound like a broken in Celestion Vintage 30 with a smoother midrange, the WGS Reaper is supposed to sound like a broken in Celestion G30H
0 x

Snapcase
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Snapcase »

Hey, That's very good news! I visited that site a whole lot of times but never stepped into their speakers section and never heard of WGS before. Gonna seek some info on these speakers. They look promising!

Thanks a lot.
0 x

Snapcase
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Snapcase »

0 x

Snapcase
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Snapcase »

Well.... I've been listening to the sound clips... Far from impressing. If they want to convince customers to buy these speakers with these clips they're not doing a very good job. :roll:

Going to look for some better clips anywhere else.

PS, Curiously, the You Tube clips do a better job demoing the tones.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Warehouse Guitar Speakers are very highly recommended. Most people will say their British style models sound very similar to various well-known Celestions, but even better. For example their V30 clone doesn't have the harshness of current production Celestion V30s.
0 x

Snapcase
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Snapcase »

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give them a try... And most of them are cheaper than current production Celestions.
0 x