handle mounting

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

handle mounting

Post by menger »

Is there any certain way to mount a handle on a headbax to make it carry even, should it be mounted to the transformer side to compansate for the uneven wieght? or are they mounted square in the middle
thanks mark
0 x

davent
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davent »

If you're not worried about tradition/inertia you could always mount it on the end of the head furthest from the transformers. That also gives you an unobstructed top so you can stack up a pile of whatever else you may need to keep handy.

dave
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

i would mount the handle over the CG (center of gravity[ or, "center of horizontal gravity" would probably be a better term])if possible; it makes it much nicer to carry, and some manufacturers used to do it.
first balance the head left/right, as best you can, over a dowel rod or something similar, and put a strip of tape along that line. then balance the other axis(front to rear, ie "the long way") the same manner, and mark that. the tape cross will be the CG, and your grip ought to be centered on that point.
i have an old monster traynor head, weighs about 70 lbs i think, and it is not balanced, and lists badly to one end when i carry it. just awful. function over form, i say
0 x

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by menger »

Thanks thats what i was thinking finding a center just using my hand on inside of cab until it balances resonablely. mark and tape i would think just a few inchs off center, i know if i just dead center it it would sag to one side, i dont think a inch or two off center would even be noticable as off center, i dont wanna start drilling holes new my new freshly tolexed cabs and not be happy with results, iv read about guys not being happy with the way they have done theres so i as looking for some insight thanks mark
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

well, the handle will certainly LOOK off center, if it is off even a cm or two. can't have it both ways, but who cares? who ever decreed that a handle must be in the center? as i said, function over form...
on some of the original JTM45s, the faceplates were off to one side. who cares?
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

If you put it just a little off-center it will look bad. If you're going to put it off-center make it look very intentional. Really though I think you're aesthetically better off putting it in the center or putting a recessed handle in one end. If the head is REALLY heavy, two handles running the opposite way of normal at the two ends (like a Vox but without the center handle), is both good-looking and functional.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

For an 18watt or 36watt, I think a center mounted handle works just fine. They just aren't that heavy an amp.
0 x

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by menger »

Its for a 18watter i guess ill just mount it centered the amps pretty light mark
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by SpentMusic »

Customers use to have me mount the handle off center on the original GDS head cabinets I made. After a while Graydon and many others said they wish they had put it in the middle. Got tired of people saying, Why is the handle mounted that way? LOL

Just looks better and these amps are not that heavy. For big amps use 2 handles on either side and it looks fine.
0 x

MikeJH
Unrated

Post by MikeJH »

You could always mount the handle centrally, then, assuming there is sufficient space, fit a counterbalance weight inside the ‘light’ end of the head cabinet such that it balances. This way it’s aesthetically correct, and it balances - it’s also a little bit heavier, but it’s not as if it weighs a ton anyway. Personally, I would just put the handle in the centre and have it look right.

Mike H
0 x