Speaker Recommendations for 1974X

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

mattymel

Speaker Recommendations for 1974X

Post by mattymel »

hey. i have been thinking about trying a new speaker in my 1974x for a while now. reason being that i would like a little bit more warmth and low end than the original G12Ms are giving me. basically i am hoping for a little bit more neil young/hendrix and a little less super mid mick ronson if that makes sense.

i DO have the matching 1974cx cab and think I will definitely keep one of the G12M speakers in there. the speakers i have been considering are a G12H (heritage) though i think it might be more of the same (how different is it to the G12M?), a Weber British Alnico 1230, Weber Alnico Blue Dog 30, Celestion Blue...

I am also wondering if anyone can chime in as to if it makes more sense to keep one of the G12Ms in the amp, or cab? Im thinking cab...

Any thoughts/observations/suggestions are appreciated. thanks!
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Neil Young and Hendrix couldn't have more dissimilar guitar sounds :lol:.

What guitar are you using this with? If it's a Strat, then the G12H Heritage (actually, I would recommend the Warehouse Reaper 55Hz -- half the price, sounds the same) is a good choice to thicken things up. I would not recommend pairing it with a G12M, however, as the H is a LOT louder.

For a Neil Young sound, you really need an American speaker, specifically a vintage Jensen C12N with the seamed cone. The modern Jensen C12N isn't even close. Weber makes one though, called the 12F150A. Get the 25W version with no or (if you use pedals) light dope.

The 12F150A would actually match pretty well with a G12M. They're roughly the same efficiency-wise, have the same power handling and "woody" tone. The 12F150A breaks up more smoothly and is a little rounder overall I'd say. The two are like cousins and would make a good pair.

The Celestion Blue and Weber Blue Dog are good speakers but sound nothing like what you say you'd like. The Weber Alnico 1230 will sound pretty much like a Celestion G12H30 with some compression when played loud. You might want to look at the Weber Silver Bell (personally, I like the ceramic 30W) for what you've described. None of these will match well with the G12M, however, since they're all a lot louder.

As far as the extension cab, if it's closed-back, then the G12M would probably be happier there than in the combo. You'll get better definition on the low end.
0 x

mattymel

Post by mattymel »

sorry, i didnt mean to imply hendrix and neil have similar sounds. what i am getting with the stock G12M is a very mid-centric sound that i would personally refer to as classic 70s marshall. early break up, more mids than lows.

not really a fan of the warehouse. i tried their version of the blue and was unimpressed. though i hear alot of people like them.

the 1974cx cab is actually open backed, though i think i hear a little more bass response, likely do to just a little more open area, as the cab sizes between the 1974x and cx are identical, but one obviously holds the guts of the amp.

right now i am playing a R4 les paul with p90s.
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

I like the standard G12H-30 75hz cone with 18watts.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

mattymel wrote:sorry, i didnt mean to imply hendrix and neil have similar sounds. what i am getting with the stock G12M is a very mid-centric sound that i would personally refer to as classic 70s marshall. early break up, more mids than lows.

not really a fan of the warehouse. i tried their version of the blue and was unimpressed. though i hear alot of people like them.

the 1974cx cab is actually open backed, though i think i hear a little more bass response, likely do to just a little more open area, as the cab sizes between the 1974x and cx are identical, but one obviously holds the guts of the amp.

right now i am playing a R4 les paul with p90s.

With P90s you definitely don't want a 55 Hz cone unless you're only going to play thick overdriven stuff.

I would look at the G12H30 (or one of the various speakers based on it with the 75 Hz cone) or the Weber Silver Bell (30 or 50W ceramic). If you like the G12M tone but just want later break up and more lows, check out the Eminence Legend GB128.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

mattymel wrote:.. what i am getting with the stock G12M is a very mid-centric sound that i would personally refer to as classic 70s marshall.
It's actually a 60s speaker. :) For more lows get the G12H-30 (or equivalent from Weber, Eminence or Warehouse). For even more low end, the 55Hz Heritage version of the G12H-30 (or equivakents).
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

mattymel wrote:.. what i am getting with the stock G12M is a very mid-centric sound that i would personally refer to as classic 70s marshall.
It's actually a 60s speaker. :) For more lows get the G12H-30 (or equivalent from Weber, Eminence or Warehouse). For even more low end, the 55Hz Heritage version of the G12H-30 (or equivalents). Hendrix used the 55Hz G12H-30s in his 4X12s. However, like krx says, the 55Hz version may not be such a great idea with an LP+P90s.
mattymel wrote:not really a fan of the warehouse. i tried their version of the blue and was unimpressed.
You can't really directly compare alnico and ceramic speakers.
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

mattymel wrote:hey. i have been thinking about trying a new speaker in my 1974x for a while now. reason being that i would like a little bit more warmth and low end than the original G12Ms are giving me. basically i am hoping for a little bit more neil young/hendrix and a little less super mid mick ronson if that makes sense.
Hendrix it's just Hendrix no matter what speaker, just like Pete Green, they are beyond speakers, it's just... they are true artists.
they seem to find the channel to talk to each of us and obviously that channel goes through celestion, goodmans, jbl and altec speakers :lol:

On the other hand Neil young have heart of gold so celestion gold would be usefull if old Jensens are hard to find :lol:
Have fun. http://www.box.net/shared/v92qhdl8x7
http://www.box.net/shared/82yn1cn7ux
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by SpentMusic »

I go with the G12H 30 standard version as it really helps the loose low end of the 18 watt amplifier. To my ears the G12M kind of farts out in an open back cabinet. IMO

We load G12H 30's (not the Heritage) in our DST MarWatt and UV6 and it is just a great rock and roll speaker! I like it over th 1230 from Weber in a side by side and the price is not much more. The Warehouse speaker does a very good job as well and the price is right.

Regards,
0 x

colossal

Post by colossal »

I go with the G12H 30 standard version as it really helps the loose low end of the 18 watt amplifier. To my ears the G12M kind of farts out in an open back cabinet. IMO
Jeff, I find the same thing with a G12M in an open back or detuned cab situation. I think they lose all their magic. Closed back they sound great and I think they need the closed back to compress against when being driven into breakup to keep them tight. They sound warm and woody like this, but man, I sure did not like them in an open back. Everyone's mileage will vary of course, just my opinion.
We load G12H 30's (not the Heritage) in our DST MarWatt and UV6 and it is just a great rock and roll speaker! I like it over th 1230 from Weber in a side by side and the price is not much more. The Warehouse speaker does a very good job as well and the price is right.
Out of curiosity, have you tried a G12H30 Heritage in a semi open back, ported, or traditional 18W combo cab?

Thanks.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Hey, Jeff great to see you back. We are honoured! :D
I go with the G12H 30 standard version as it really helps the loose low end of the 18 watt amplifier.... We load G12H 30's (not the Heritage) in our DST MarWatt and UV6 and it is just a great rock and roll speaker!
+1
Jeff, I find the same thing with a G12M in an open back or detuned cab situation. I think they lose all their magic. Closed back they sound great and I think they need the closed back to compress against when being driven into breakup to keep them tight. They sound warm and woody like this, but man, I sure did not like them in an open back.
You guys aren't the only ones to say that, and I've noticed it myself. However, I have a gigging 18W combo with a semi-open back and a vintage G12M, which actually sounds pretty good. But the amp also has a 1000uF cathode cap helping to tighten up the bass.
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by SpentMusic »

Hi Phil,

Good to be back. Has been a very crazy 2 years and finally seems to be getting back to a normal life around here. Of course what normal means is totally subjective!! LOL
0 x

nyazzip
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by nyazzip »

don't forget to point a suspecting finger at the output transformer, rather than the speakers. it would be considerably cheaper to change out the OPT too. the only reason i say this is because my LiteII puts out awesome bass, even into speakers that i thought were lame with other amps(orange tiny terror), and i suspect it might be the OT. this summer i'm going to swap it out and see if that is the case
i would tend to blame the circuit first and speakers last, given you are using decent/modern 12" speakers
0 x