Converting old solid state combo into portable speaker cab?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

hvrock13
Unrated

Converting old solid state combo into portable speaker cab?

Post by hvrock13 »

I've got a Traynor Reverb Mate 40, its a combo amp that has a 2x8 speaker setup. The speakers are 20 watts each, and I don't use the amp anymore. I just got done building my Ceriatone 18 watt TMB head, and I'd like to be able to take the amp to practices or just to jam with other guitarists without carrying around my giant 400 watt 4x12 cabinet. Would it be safe to run the head into the Traynor combo? I'd wire up the 2 8 inch speakers in series to get 16 ohms impedance first, and take an input jack off of my old Marshall head.. I just wanna be sure if its alright to drive an 18 watt head into a 40 watt, 8 inch speaker setup before I start taking the old combo apart.
0 x

Phil_S
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by Phil_S »

It should work fine. Whether it sounds good is something you'll find out. Why are you pirating a jack from a Marshall head? You can buy a new Swithcraft type jack for $2.
0 x

rexracer
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by rexracer »

That will work. you want at least a 1 to 1 match of power to handling. You want to match the impedance. You should have 4, 8, 16 ohm out. That will give you plenty of choices for matching speakers. I'll post a series/parallel chart when I find it. You will be much happier with a 112 speaker. A greenback from Craig’s list or a 12h for more of that RR sound.
0 x

hotair

Post by hotair »

Traynor service manual

http://www.traynoramps.com/downloads/se ... rayint.pdf

TDA2030

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... 2030A.html

Measure the voltage the amp is running at and look up in the data sheet what the amplifier puts out for that voltage. If the speakers can take the full output of the transistor amp it should give you an indication what they will do with the tube amp.

My guess, between 10 - 15w each speaker. If it is loud enough to play with them now it should be with the tube amp. If at all concerned, parallel up the speakers and put a 4 ohm 10w resistor in series with them run off the 8 ohm tap. Might give you a bit of bass boost though.
0 x