Should I replace my alnico speaker with a ceramic one?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

DrLo

Should I replace my alnico speaker with a ceramic one?

Post by DrLo »

I'm playing my Ceriatone 18W TMB through a Weber Blue Dog (alnico, rated at 15 watts). The tone, particularly when cranked, is very smooth - almost too smooth. I'm guessing that's the compression factor. I'm looking for more bass and treble detail, and a bit more punch overall. Would replacing the Blue Dog with a G12H30 do the trick?
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

The issue isn't really alnico vs ceramic so much as that you're playing a 15W speaker at its limit. I play mainly through a Warehouse Blackhawk 50W alnico (basically the same thing as a Celestion Gold, Emi Red Fang, or Weber 50W Blue Dog) and it hangs together much better on the low end (and has a bit more of it) but still has that nice chime and sparkle you associate with a blue. So if you really like your basic tone and just want to tweak it, I'd try a 50W version of the same speaker.

The G12H30 will also get you in the same general neighborhood but with a more aggressive overall sound. Dirtier, I'd say, not in a distortion sense though.
0 x

DrLo

Post by DrLo »

Thanks krx. I'll consider all of that.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

For what it's worth, I've found the 15 and 30W Blue Dogs to be very farty and loose in the low end when pushed hard when compared to the Celestion Blue or Warehouse Black and Blue (can you tell I've wasted a lot of money on speakers? :lol: ). I think I remember reading a quote from Ted Weber where he said their voice coils were closer to the vintage types (for better and for worse), which might explain that.
0 x

LeeMo
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by LeeMo »

Don't replace it... enhance it. I have a 212 with a 16 ohm Bluedog alnico and a 16 ohm G12H30 Ted W clone with the 55hz cone. You could add a 112 cab with one of those in it or an Avatar cab with their broken-in G12H30.
Just a thought.

LeeMo
0 x

timbo_93631
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by timbo_93631 »

On my first build, a 1x12 combo, I bought a Weber 12A125 20 watter. It sounded good but restrained, like the bite wasn't there and the bass was flabby but progressively got a little better. I let it break in for about 3 months playing every day for a few hours, and it got better but just didn't sound like what I had been hoping for. When it came time to sell the amp I felt like it wouldn't sell very well with an American style speaker so I started looking around for a replacement. I found a new Weber 1230C with pre-Rola doping on ebay for $85 with free shipping and popped that in, what a difference! Even before it was fully broken in it had way more bite and definition. Just more agressive sounding and touch sensitive, and as it broke in the lows got alot tighter. It also seemed louder. So I sold the 12A125 to a guy who was building a 5E3, the perfect amp for that speaker, sold the combo to a guy in Chicago, and everything worked out great.
0 x

DrLo

Post by DrLo »

Interesting thoughts guys. I'm going to put a G12H30 in and see whether it helps.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

AFAIK Weber's 1230C is equivalent to a Celestion G12H-30.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

kd
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by kd »

I'm playing my Ceriatone 18W TMB through a Weber Blue Dog (alnico, rated at 15 watts). The tone, particularly when cranked, is very smooth - almost too smooth. I'm guessing that's the compression factor. I'm looking for more bass and treble detail, and a bit more punch overall. Would replacing the Blue Dog with a G12H30 do the trick?
I think you're correct, what your hearing is the compression of the alnico speaker. The detail probably comes back when you back down on the volume and let the speaker breathe a little bit.

My favorite speaker these days is a WGS Green Beret, a greenback clone.

Ken
0 x

DrLo

Post by DrLo »

Well, I put a Warehouse Reaper (75Hz) in a few weeks ago and have been playing with it for quite some time (also gigged with it). It's pretty good, but while I gained more bass and volume, I lost all of the chime and most of the top end that I was getting from the Blue Dog. I was finding it harder to pull harmonic squeals out of my guitar during leads. I've decided to take out the Reaper and replace it with my Weber Silver Bell (AlNiCo, rated at 15 watts). Not as loud and bassy as the Reaper, but certainly has strong bass with nice chime and top end added to the mix.
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by SpentMusic »

Our favorite speaker for the 18 watt and or DST MarWatt is the G12H30. The Weber clone is very good but when side by side the Celestion sounds more celestion/british.

The Silver Bell is a great speaker and for the 18 watt I would recommend the 30 watt version for either the ceramic or alnico. You will actually get a bit more bite out of the speaker then the 15 watt version.

I have just never liked the Blue Dog. I hear Jensen in there somewhere, but he sells a lot of them.
0 x

DrLo

Post by DrLo »

SpentMusic wrote:The Silver Bell is a great speaker and for the 18 watt I would recommend the 30 watt version for either the ceramic or alnico. You will actually get a bit more bite out of the speaker then the 15 watt version.
If I find that there is simply too much compression with my 15-watt Silver Bell, I may go for a 30 watt ceramic one.
0 x

WesKuhnley
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by WesKuhnley »

Go for a Reaper...my favorite is the 55Hz. For a great combo, combine your "Blue" with a Reaper 55Hz.
0 x