EL84 equivalent

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil

hotair

EL84 equivalent

Post by hotair »

Just curious if there was a EL84 equivalent in 7 pin as the 6AQ5 is to the 6V6?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Never heard of anything like that myself, if it exists at all. With EL84s, probably 9-pin is considered a small enough format already for most purposes. There is however a mini-EL84 inside ECL86 / 6GW8 tubes, plus one triode of a 12AX7. Still 9-pin format, but it allows you to build a 13W version of an 18W PI and power stage with just two tubes.
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Merlinb
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: EL84 equivalent

Post by Merlinb »

The EL95 is about the closest you'll get, I think. Rated at 6W max, and with about two thirds the gm.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

So not really a true equivalent in gain terms at least, but it might suffice.

Also check out the 6DZ7, which is apparently like a pair of EL84s in a single octal bottle. These EL84s are the milspec rugged type similar to 7189As, and good for 13.2W dissipation each as well as 440V.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

hotair

Post by hotair »

Have not looked over the specs yet but the EL41 might be something to look at if I was really inclined.

Basically I wanted to find something with the same signal requirements as the 84's but utilizing a cheap available tv tube.

But the 6AQ5 being an offshoot of the 6V6 family needs more signal voltage to drive than an EL84. I am shoehorning this in a small cabinet so I am height challenged and am a little limited in my heater supply. The 6AQ5 will work but since I am already loosing signal from the tone stack.
0 x

hotair

Post by hotair »

Ultimately my thoughts are to put together a 9watt rather than an 18watt. Still new at the tube game so I do have some learning to do. But the general idea was to use a 70 volt speaker transformer as the output transformer, 120v to 240v transformer for high voltage and a a wall wart transformer for the filaments. (Online auction the trio cost me about $15)

Wanted to see if I can come up with a cheap design (relatively speaking) for someone on a budget to take the plunge in rolling their own amp. I am pretty much of the opinion there is no cheap equivalent for the EL84 as the 6aq5 is to the 6V6. Was hopping to go for the Marshall sound rather than Fender.

Will still give it a go with the 6aq5's as a winter project, maybe much of the sound is in the circuit and not the tubes.
0 x

hotair

Post by hotair »

zaphod_phil wrote:So not really a true equivalent in gain terms at least, but it might suffice.

Also check out the 6DZ7, which is apparently like a pair of EL84s in a single octal bottle. These EL84s are the milspec rugged type similar to 7189As, and good for 13.2W dissipation each as well as 440V.
I think part of my dilemma is in finding a cheap available tube to use. I am sure I can find one in the 120v - 180v range in a TV tube but then it negates the cheap Chinese transformers as a supply. Shame they do not have a 120v to 120v. Actually the lower voltage may be an advantage for someone just starting out in tube amps. Cheaper caps and a bit safer. There I gonow, the wheels are starting to spin. May have to rethink things. Thanks for the help guys, needed someone to bounce ideas off of.
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

Posted this many years ago.. 6GK6. You can buy NOS of all different brands. Mullard, RCA sylvainia etc.. i bought many for 6 to 8 dollars each.
Same data as the EL84 except the 6gk6 are rated 330v plate and 330v screens,and about 1.5 watts more each tube,look like EL84s, small rewire of the socket to use them. Many just never seemto try them. they work and sound great.
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

I am somewhat unwell. so I am not putting any effort into checking what I say = do your own research.

The ELL800 was two EL84 in one envelope. Very rare and obsolete in the 60s.

Without thinking about the 6p14p direct replacement, there are two cheap Russki valves you can use instead of EL84 if you are gentle with them re. voltages. One is EL83 spec, I think that is a 6p15p. The other is a later development, and has a number like 6p42p/6p41p/6p32p/6p31p - this is a control amp valve, you only ever see the spec sheet from a vendor, and it does not like a high B+. OTOH it can be a direct EL84 replacement in a lot of circumstances.

If you really insist on using cheap old TV valves, look at the EL821. Sorry, I can't quote the US equivalent - but there is one!
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re:

Post by crgfrench »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Mon 08/09/10 2:24 pm
Never heard of anything like that myself, if it exists at all. With EL84s, probably 9-pin is considered a small enough format already for most purposes. There is however a mini-EL84 inside ECL86 / 6GW8 tubes, plus one triode of a 12AX7. Still 9-pin format, but it allows you to build a 13W version of an 18W PI and power stage with just two tubes.
The ECL86 seems like the best thing since PB&J, or since chocolate met PB in the Reese's cup. Phillip's datasheet has PP power at 13.6W with a 300V supply. I am thinking this will be my first foray into long tail pair PIs. Anyone have opinions of the sound?
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

hello,
i've seen ecl86 single ended "lunchbox" guitar amps but have'nt actually heard one,but here's a bogen schematic using 2 in push/pull + phase inverter.
bogen_schem2.jpg
might be worth experimenting with!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

Thanks Geoff65 -- that inspired me to design a Class A, 2-input, 2-tube, 6W with a single Volume pot and a Twang switch (with diode Recto) tonight, just for this tube. I bet Arizona Blue Cactus would be sweet for the coupling caps, and I'm thinking it would go nicely in a little Tweed Champ cab with a Jensen P8R...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

i like your "think outside the box" and have a go attitude!
not sure about your PT secondary of 290V though,mine is 275V and diode rectified gives me 360 VDC B+ so yours will be higher.
here's another schematic with ez80 rectifier and ef86 & 12ax7 preamp tubes,it might help you with the "ball park" area for voltages.
hansen1.jpg
this is a bit of a coincidence! i watch a guy on youtube who restores old valve radio's and he recently did a radio with a triode/pentode valve which gave me idea's.my concern with the ecl86 triode was the gain factor i.e. if it was like a 12au7 it would be okay for the phase inverter but not very good for the preamp so i've checked it out and it has a gain factor of 100 the same as a 12ax7,look's good!
1 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

the more i look into these ecl86's the more i am impressed,have a listen to this amp!
https://youtu.be/GsWzUMqA5W0
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

That Frugal mini superlead sounds great even through my Mac Pro internal speaker and recorded with his videocamera. Thanks for finding and posting the video. These tubes are kind of expensive, in the $60 range for NOS but I think I'm going to play with them. This video certainly highlights their tone possibilities and they have a nice smooth breakup.

I don't see why he used dual volume controls when there is only a single input and no channel switch -- what's the point of controlling each individual tube volume if its the same signal path? I guess if the tone stack is between them that would make sense but I think this is a push pull setup that wouldn't really allow for that. Maybe he built both a pre-PI and a post-PI master volume??

(edit addition): ...Well he does say "for the 2 sides of the normal channel". I don't get that, the 2 VRs in a 1959 are fed by 2 different inputs (see attachment)
Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 10.04.08 PM.png
Last edited by crgfrench on Sat 04/27/19 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

the single input jack goes into both triodes of the preamp tube "parallel" and the concentric volume pot lets you control both triode signals seperately i.e. you can use one triode or blend them together,it's the same as using a jumper between the inputs on the old plexi marshall's blending the normal channel with the bright channel.
1959u.gif
1 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Sat 04/27/19 6:51 pm
the more i look into these ecl86's the more i am impressed,have a listen to this amp!
https://youtu.be/GsWzUMqA5W0
talk about coincidences, that guy, Mark of Frugal Amps, lives right near where I grew up!
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Sat 04/27/19 7:39 pm
the single input jack goes into both triodes of the preamp tube "parallel" and the concentric volume pot lets you control both triode signals seperately i.e. you can use one triode or blend them together,it's the same as using a jumper between the inputs on the old plexi marshall's blending the normal channel with the bright channel.
1959u.gif
Ahhhh, OK that makes sense thank you.
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Sat 04/27/19 7:39 pm
1959u.gif
That makes sense for the schematic you posted, with different bypass caps and bias resistors for the 12ax7 cathodes. The schematic I posted shows a common cap & resistor there so i was scratching my head. He must have them separated. That makes sense thank you.
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

yeah the schematic is the marshall plexi superlead which he's used for the preamp of the mini superlead in the video,i've sent him an e-mail asking which output transformer he used for the ecl86's.
i also subscribed to his youtube channel,he obviously" knows his onions" and has great tone with the amps he's built!
p.s. Mark has very kindly replied and he used power and output transformers from a Hammond AO-44 organ amp.
here's a schematic of a conversion showing transformer numbers.
SpartacusR1a.jpg
1 x