Mullards: Made in the USA

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

BackwoodsJoe

Mullards: Made in the USA

Post by BackwoodsJoe »

Anybody have any info on the Mullard 6EU7's that have the MADE IN USA lable? THX, joe
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

Mullard did buy in from other suppliers, especially TV types.

Now, if it says Mullard, the "Made in USA" is probably true. So now you look for other clues.

If they are made outside Philips Group, there should be a mark like a ] lying on its side next to the main label. If you see one, look for an RCA "stop sign" etched mark. If you find one, they are likely to be RCA (but might be Tung-Sol). Otherwise, you look for another number that includes the EIA code. Short list here - http://www.wy9.co.uk/

If they are made inside Philips Group (Amperex or Sylvania), they should have a small "etched" mark on the envelope, usually 3 characters over 4 characters, near the base or on the shoulder. The first character for an Amperex is a *.

Now you just have to explain to Zaphod how you gonna use these in a 18 watt - y should post this query on Wattkins.com really.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Ultimately, you would need to explain it to Graydon, as he is the boss. But IIRC 6EU7s make great substitutes for 12AX7s (allowing for slightly different heater connections), and would work well in preamp or PI positions of an 18watt. Is that not the case?
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

BackwoodsJoe

Post by BackwoodsJoe »

dotfret, thanks for the info, i will check it out. Lets just say i was surprised when i opened the box to find that the Mullards were indeed made in the USA. As to why i posted about 6eu7's on this board, you can rest assured that they will be used in a 18watt. I have loved these tubes for years but unfortunately somebody else must be too as the prices have started going higher & higher. THX again, joe
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

18W - I didn't think otherwise, Joe! It'd just that I got asked to remind people a while back ... and Phil tends to get a bit forgetful about the general tube talk forum being on Wattkins, so I thought I'd give it a mention.

You get some really strange Mullards, working in all directions across the seas - especially after Mullard was bought out of Philips group, and the other British makes were discontinued. And don't forget, you can find Mullards from Australia marked "Made In USA", and they often didn't bother with the ] mark - I have a 6BA7 (RCA) like that.

You think these 6EU7 were a shock, I have seen a Realistic 12AZ7 with Blackburn codes ...

Whatever, I might be able to say more, given pics and details of the print on the things ...
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I got asked to remind people a while back ... and Phil tends to get a bit forgetful about the general tube talk forum on Wattkins, so I thought I'd give it a mention....
Forgot? :roll: Heck, I never knew there was a tube talk forum on Wattkins! 8O :lol:
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp