Any sonic variation between 1973 and bluesbreaker cab?

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

nnation
Unrated

Any sonic variation between 1973 and bluesbreaker cab?

Post by nnation »

Hey guys.
First time poster, here. (I've been lurking around for a while, but have never posted because I've found all my questions previously asked and answered.)
I'm going to purchase a 2x12 cab to go with my Reinhardt 18 head. I am unsure if I should get the 1973 cabinet (the 2x12 cab originally built for 18 watt) or the slightly larger "Bluesbreaker" cabinet.
I'm a bit tight on space, so I like the idea of the slightly smaller 1973 cab, but I wanted to get some opinions about the potential sonic merits of the slightly larger bluesbreaker cab.
Has anyone A/B'ed the two? Is there any difference in the sound if all else is the same (i.e., head amp, speakers, etc)? Can a few extra inches in a cabinet's size really make an audible difference?
Thanks in advance!
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by SpentMusic »

As there was never a separate speaker cabinet built by Marshall for the 18 watt amp, anything goes. My preference is at most a 28 x 20 x 10 and if you go with an oval back panel then a 27 x 19 x 10 helps keep a nice tight focused but huge sound. Also, the biggest thing is with the actual speakers you will be using. Bob builds a great 18 watt amp and takes care of the low end woofness and farting out at the low end. Again my optimum speaker with the 18 watt is the G12H30.

The BB cabinet (as in Model 1963) is a huge cabinet and way oversized for the 18 watt amp. Just the wrong set up in my opinion.

Call or email me if you have any questions.

Regards,
Last edited by SpentMusic on Thu 09/30/10 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

nnation
Unrated

Post by nnation »

Thanks, Jeff.
I'm glad to hear that someone seconds my opinion that the BB cabinet is a bit on the large side.
Yeah, I'm very pleased with my Reinhardt. Right now I'm running it through a single G12M in a rattly, undersized cabinet... which really is not doing the amp justice. I never knew how much of a difference a good cabinet can make until demoing a few at the store with the 18. I'm looking forward to getting the speaker into something decent.

Thanks again for the advice,
-Tom
0 x