I have a tube question about the tube slots 18 watter TMB

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

18wanter
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

I have a tube question about the tube slots 18 watter TMB

Post by 18wanter »

. I have a few really good tubes ..

I need to know where I / or amnyone w./ a 18 watter TMB , would put there best pre amp tubes ?..V1-? V2-? V3 -?.

I've always heard / read V-1 ..but I've now read V1 & V3 should get the best sounding / better quality of tubes & just put a decent tube in V - 2 ?

Then I've read that you put your best in V-1 & V-2 ..& put your decent current production tube in V-3 ?

I'm going to put this in the tube section , I think !.....thanks Kevin
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

It depends on the layout. In some 18W amps, especially classic/trem combos, V1 and V3 are the first preamp stages in each channel, and V2 is just the phase invertor. In early style TMB amps V2 is also the PI, while in later TMB layouts V3 is the PI. So in each case, we generally put our nicest preamp tube(s) in the first preamp position(s).
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

18wanter
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by 18wanter »

Hi, Phil.. , Hey I've got the revised 2008 TMB layout from Ceriatone ..

I don't know how to read it really ..I've got a pix of the layout ..but should it take up room & I post it in a link here ,. for you to see , if you don't mind helping me out of this one ?

See I bought a miniwatt VVR, whih , has changed the sound of my amp , I installed it / per the instructions of the , so called builder , theres a whole thing about that , as I contacted Kevin O conner , about Power scaling ...but anyway , I ended up sending it the the fella , not Kevi ..the mini watt , used to be the Mar Watt ..anyway , he said I did the install right , but when I got it back , it sounds worse than it did , it had a crackling noise when I unplugged the guitar cord while amp was on ... I noticed that its been altered , from the orginal install that I did , So I figurted he made it sound better , but , no 1 at high antuations , its got a zinging , swooshing sound to it ..So I figure its not right ..I'm going to have to pull it all the way out & just forget it & rum the stock amp ..It isn't doing what it is said to do ! ..It sounds bad ! ..So I figured since I had some pretty good tubes I'd try them in the most important slots & try o get this amp to sound right , but at 1st the crackling was due to a bad solder joint , I couldn't quite get down into the cap can area to do that right , the cap can had to be pulled & resoldered in, with the mini watt wires coming off it ...Now thats all done by the fella for me , heping me out ? Then the amp comes back & its horrible sounding , its just got an ossilation sound to it , I have no idea how anyone would like the sound of it ! He told me it had better gain than his TMB build & he was playing it alot ...So I'm sure he heard the , horrible ossilation , if you hold any lower power chord or notes , it just zings , & ossilates like crazy ...I'm at wits end w/ it !

So On the tube slots , If I post a link to the layout , can you point me in the right direction, concerning the 1st stage pre amp slots ?...thanks for any info ...Kevin

I was trying to post the layout ..but its going to take getting into my photo bucket & sending to there 1st...So please let me know if you need it 1 ..I'll go do the work & try to post it , in a reply post on here thanks Kevin
0 x

18wanter
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by 18wanter »

Heres the layout ,,what do you think Phil ...V1 & V - ?. 1st pre amp slot & best tone changing slots ? Or slot ?....thanks

Where should I try thebetter tubes ?..Just in V-1 ?..Or ?..thanks Kevin

0 x

Pressed_Rat
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Pressed_Rat »

If you followed that layout, V2 is the phase inverter. V1 is the preamp for both Normal and TMB channel inputs. Start with your best tube there. V3 is an additional gain stage and the cathode follower for the TMB channel.
0 x