VVR for 2x18w

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

pjgeerlings
Unrated

VVR for 2x18w

Post by pjgeerlings »

It appears that a single VVR circuit could be used for a 2x18w stereo guitar rig - is this correct?

The NTE2377 seems to be a pretty robust part - the 8 amp drain current suggests it's not even breaking a sweat in the typical 18/36watt VVR application.

as a slight aside ...

I do understand the need to keep the NTE2377 on a heat sink of some sort but I wonder about the ambient temperature of a tube amplifier in general. Common sense would dictate keepin' the thing as far as possible from the power tubes but that is exactly where it "needs to be" in the circuit

Any thoughts?
0 x

sonofmyfather
Unrated

Post by sonofmyfather »

Can't comment on VVR in a stereo setup.

Depending on the chassis you're using there should be quite a few places you can mount an NTE transistor. In my 18watt lite IIb I didn't want to ruin the rear plate of the chassis but the only spare hole was directly adjacent to the power tubes so there wasn't space to conveniently fit Dana Hall's VVR circuit. All I did was mount the potentiometer in the available hole and ran wire from it to Dana's circuit which I mounted on the other side of the chassis.

Russell
0 x

rjgtr
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by rjgtr »

You should be fine in a 2x18. I put one of Dana's kits in a Wreck Liverpool clone amp ana it works great.
0 x

hotair

Post by hotair »

You want to put it where it gets the greatest airflow and surface area next to that air. Putting it on a plate on the underside of the amp does not help it get rid of the heat. As another thought, as the VVR is working dissipating heat the output tubes are putting out less heat.
0 x

pjgeerlings
Unrated

Post by pjgeerlings »

Thanks!
I appreciate do the responses
-pj
0 x