Opinions on Russian 6P6S (6n6c) 6v6 Tubes

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: zaphod_phil, CurtissRobin, colossal

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I think it depends on the amp. JJ 6V6s sound fantastic in some amps - although it has also been pointed out that the JJs are effectively a modern NOS tube that have been built the same way, in the same factory for many years.
Careful, I've taken out a few JJ's in SF champs, maybe it had to do with the 400v on plates + the 470ohm cathode resistor.
At those voltages in an SE amp you need more like 700+ ohms. The tubes probably were dissipating way over spec, with only a 470 ohm resistor in there.

I have run various 6V6s at up to 450V, including JJs and 6pi6s. I've also seen JJs running happily at 470V in a friend's amp (which also had tone to die for BTW). Once there was an electrical fault in his house and he ended up with 500V on those JJs - and they continued to work quite normally.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

laterider
Unrated

Post by laterider »

I believe that SF champ I finally put in a 510. I think that was an issue with the at least some of the SF champs is that the B+ was up there due to use/change of a higher output (V not current) PT. I haven't played that amp in quite a while as I have a tweed champ clone that I use when I want the SE champ bark. I put in a PT with a lower output in the tweed champ to allow me to use anything in that one.

To stay on topic, I do have quite a few of those 6pi6 tubes, mostly from the seventies. Back when I was checking them I believe I a/b'ed them in the tweed champ with a new 6V6EH and they sounded identical. At the time I concluded the EH and maybe other new ones were coming from the same factory that made the 6pi6s or maybe is still making the 6pi6s too. The tubes really looked identical (EH and 6pi6), but of course the 6pi6 have black glass so I couldn't be sure. I wanted all of them to sound 'great', they work, but the 6V6EH and 6pi6 seemed so harsh/sterile to say a NOS RCA or GE. I eventually threw down some cash to have a handful of NOS tube just for my tweed champ. When I did run new 6V6's I believe the JJ's were the best sounding of the newer 6v6's.
0 x
Everything on 10!

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I think how these tubes sound depends a lot on the amp, as well as the voltages and load impedances being used. In some amps I've found the 6pi6s have a nice smoky vibe. In other amps, they just sound dull. In my own amps the JJ 6V6s sounded shrill at 450V and above, while in the other amp I mentioned they sounded just amazing at 470V.

It's also no secret that EH = Sovtek
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

laterider
Unrated

Post by laterider »

zaphod_phil wrote: It's also no secret that EH = Sovtek
Thanks zp, that was the the actual company I was trying to think of when talking about new stuff!!!

Back on the 6pi6 tubes - I do travel to ukraine once a year. Three years ago I bought the 6pi6 tubes I have from there for pretty much nothing. Very cheap, but I can't really remember how much. Maybe you guys can key me in on what might be good (other types) and I'll stock up next summer!!!
0 x
Everything on 10!