Fender-style cab construction question...

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

bfwatts

Fender-style cab construction question...

Post by bfwatts »

Stupid, I know, but haven't done one, so...for a head-type cab with the 25 degree slant at the top, should I just build it square (using the fingerjoints or dovetails) and THEN tablesaw the angled cut though both sides and the top, or cut the board that is the top of the box to it's finished size and THEN join it? Thanks for your time-
0 x

ChrisU
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ChrisU »

Cut the panels out first, all the same depth. Do the finger joints next, then temporarily join the sides together and cut the angle. Use the sides up against your table saw blade to set the angle then cut the top panel to size. Now you can assemble it. If you mark out where the handle and chassis screws go before you round over the edges it makes things easier.
0 x

ronh95

Post by ronh95 »

It may not have been the way Leo's team did it, but for my Princeton Reverb cab I cut the panels with no taper, dovetailed and assembled the box and let it dry overnight.

I then ran the box on each end through the tablesaw using a taper jig for the long angle of the front. Next, I stood it on it's head and ran it through with the blade angled to get the short control panel angle. You can see it after those three passes through the saw at the link below.

Princeton Reverb build pics
0 x

trancedental
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by trancedental »

You can cut the side angles before you glue all the sides together & then cut the 25 degree top angle afterwards! :lol:

I don't have a table saw or even any clamps (that work!) just a kitchen table so it's easier that way to just router that angle afterwards.

However for safety reasons it's probably best to ignore this post! :roll:
0 x