The 18Wer's Tone controls

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

The 18Wer's Tone controls

Post by loverocker »

I'm very poor on theory, although I can follow most of the Marshall-style schematics I've looked at, but I can't work out what's going on with the 18Wer's Tone and Volume controls - esp that 100K between the two pots on the non-trem channel?

Can anyone here give me an idiot's guide to what they do? I was wondering why they aren't just wired up like a guitar's Volume and Tone pots? Must be a good reason... :roll:
0 x

roadking

Post by roadking »

It's been a long time since I did any real bench work, but I'll take a stab at it. Without the 100k resistor, if the tone and volume pots were both at
their minimums (i.e. 0 ohms) there would be no load to develop input to the next stage (V2). I don't have much experience with tubes, but that what I would say if there were transistors there instead. How did I do? :|
0 x

markh
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by markh »

At the one extreme, the .01u is connected directly to ground, and all treble (and a bit of mid) frequencies will be shunted to ground at that point - "bassy" tone.

At the other extreme, there's 500K at the bottom, so virtually no treble is lost.

If this were the end of the story, the tone control would still work, but the second setting would be louder, because a significant portion of the signal is lost in the first (bassy) setting.

By connecting the 100k to the other end, there is a 100K paralleled with the volume pot in the second setting, attentuating the signal a bit, and evening out the end to end (tone setting) volume level.

That's my guess, anyway! :mrgreen:

--mark
0 x

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by loverocker »

Thanks chaps. :)

Roadking - I'm a bit confused (it's easily done!). With the Volume at minimum we don't want any signal into V2A, no?

markh - that makes sense, except I'm still confused about what that .005uF cap feeding the input to the Volume pot is up to? :?

It's all a bit academic at the moment, because I'll just copy the 18W circuit exactly to start with, but it'd be nice to understand what's going on for later tweaks/etc.
0 x

markh
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by markh »

loverocker wrote: markh - that makes sense, except I'm still confused about what that .005uF cap feeding the input to the Volume pot is up to? :?
Well, something needs to keep the 200 volts of DC from the previous stage off of the volume control. 8O

--mark
0 x

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by loverocker »

Oh I see - I didn't realise that. I saw the .022uF that follows it and assumed that that blocking the DC from the PI was all that was needed. Info filed away for future reference - thanks. :)
0 x

markh
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by markh »

The .022 keeps the (nonzero) PI grid voltage off of the volume pot, and at the same time keeps the volume setting from affecting the bias.

The .005, being so small WRT the 500K volume will attenuate the lows a bit, so could be thought of a part of the tone shaping network.

--mark
0 x

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by loverocker »

Thanks Mark - this stuff is slowly beginning to make sense now. :)

For guys who've biult/got 18Wers with both channels, which Tone control is more effective?
0 x

loverocker
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by loverocker »

Thanks Paul - I think I might try that one first. I presume the other channel has a different Tone control because it was intended for mic input? :?
0 x