wheres the 36 watt layout cant pull one up tmb

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

menger
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

wheres the 36 watt layout cant pull one up tmb

Post by menger »

cant seem to pull up a 36 watt layout dont realy want all the extra on the ceriatone? can any one help mark
0 x

malt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by malt »

here you go :lol: http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name= ... ic&t=18287

hope some one can put the schematic in the downloads \layout?
0 x

jimmybjj

Re: wheres the 36 watt layout cant pull one up tmb

Post by jimmybjj »

menger wrote:cant seem to pull up a 36 watt layout dont realy want all the extra on the ceriatone? can any one help mark
i know this thread is old but if anyone else is looking for one.

http://www.turretboards.com/layouts_sch ... tt_new.bmp
0 x

malt
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by malt »

0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I think the problem is that the 36W layouts seem to be in eps (encapsulated postscript) format. So you need to have software that cam open that format.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

NitroLiq
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by NitroLiq »

The bitmap from turretboards.com that jimmybjj linked to is the same as the EPS here in the downloads section that I put together with Richie. I think the layout could stand some minor updates. The layout works "as is" but I think the voltages need to be tamed a bit as you get some weird hair on certain notes or parasitic oscillation. That was my experience anyways and a couple other people I know.

As Richie mentions in one of the other threads linked to, swapping out a GZ34 for a 5v4GA, for example, is a start. I haven't gotten around to documenting what we changed in my 36 as far as component values. Nothing major.
0 x

BarryW
Unrated

Post by BarryW »

I'm looking into a 36w build or possibly a 6v6 variant - for anybody trying to open .eps files, just use Microsoft Word (or possibly a similar program) and insert the .eps file as a picture into a word doc. It worked fairly well for me.
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

FYI, one of the guys on Trinity's forum just did a 36W with an interesting twist. The power stage uses one PP pair of EL84s and one PP pair of 6V6s.

The blow-by-blow account is on http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewto ... f=7&t=2812 And this is the happy ending:

"The 6v6/EL84 mix sounds considerably better than the 4 6v6 version I tried, not even close... It has maybe even passed the Super/Dumble as my favorite amp, and that is saying ALOT, I have a pretty good pile of amps here. Thurs I played a Top 40 cover gig with it, lots of Motown and funk stuff too. Saturday I played a Straight Ahead jazz gig, and bebopped all night, fricken thing sounds flat out bad ass clean......... Sunday morning , church. More on that below. Sunday night I played a groove jazz/ jam funk gig with it, alot more overdrive sounds, some blues on that hit too, amp might have even sounded better on that one, I dont know...... Just got back from my church rehearsal, modern praise music, BIG rock guitar sounds, other guitarist always has a high dollar rig at his disposal, either a Matchless, or a Mesa Lonestar, or a VHT, 36 watter sounds perfect in that context. I put a BB preamp in front of it, you'd swear it was Angus's rig up there... JK !! But it really does sound great. The guy with the high dollar amps wants me to build him one soon, and he is a beast shredder who is very picky about his sound. " :D
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Thanks for sharing this ZP, I was planning on building a couple 36 watt amps after my current build, I was going to do a 6v6 version and a EL84 version to compare, but seeing this makes me think I need to build three amps instead!

With the tubes mixed did the builder do anything to compenate the drive levels to each type of valve?
0 x

rock_mumbles
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by rock_mumbles »

So what's the ladder grid arrangement for parallel 6v6/EL84's?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

So what's the ladder grid arrangement for parallel 6v6/EL84's?
Instead of having 470k grid reference resistors at each power tube grid, you split each 470k into a 220k in series with a 270k. The lower ends of the 220ks go to ground and the top end of the 270ks are connected to the two coupling caps from the PI.

At the top of the 270ks you have the usual 8.2k grid blocking resistor going to the 6V6 grids. You connect the EL84 grids to the junction points between the 270k and 220k resistors, in other words each EL84 is being fed from a potential divider and gets less drive than the 6V6s. Then you use a 20k PI tail resistor, as you normally would for octal power tubes.
0 x

guitarmike2107
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by guitarmike2107 »

I was thinking about tapping the anode resistors on the PI but using this method would be easier and cheaper.

thanks

Mike
0 x