Speaker Distortion

Seeing and hearing is believing

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Archer

Speaker Distortion

Post by Archer »

I have got a 2x12 cab loaded with a pair of 1970's Fane Crescendo's, When I play mild gain solo's on the neck pickup, the overdrive has an unusual fizzy sound. Is there anyway I can test if it is deifinately the speakers that are distorting?

Thanks,
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Try it with another set of speakers, of course :)

Fane's are definitely not known for breaking up much though...
0 x

Archer

Post by Archer »

I remove both the speakers and I pushed the cone in to see if I heard any scratching and I heard it on the 1973 Crescendo, so does this mean that speaker is blown?
0 x

leslie
Transformer Guy

Post by leslie »

Archer wrote:I remove both the speakers and I pushed the cone in to see if I heard any scratching and I heard it on the 1973 Crescendo, so does this mean that speaker is blown?
No, if the speaker works it's not blown.
You can take it to speaker repair shop to get it centered if it's possible without reconing (usually is).
I had the same problem with Crescendo and 30$ made it go away.
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

Archer wrote:I remove both the speakers and I pushed the cone in to see if I heard any scratching and I heard it on the 1973 Crescendo, so does this mean that speaker is blown?
That probably means you have a voice coil "rub." Sometimes you can get the speaker "cleaned" and that will fix it, sometimes you need a recone.
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

Of course, you should know that pushing on the cone to "check it" often converts a perfectly good speaker into a recone job.

KennyO
0 x

krx
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by krx »

CurtissRobin wrote:
Of course, you should know that pushing on the cone to "check it" often converts a perfectly good speaker into a recone job.

KennyO
I didn't want to make him feel bad by pointing that out, but yeah, for others reading this, don't push on your cones! If you didn't have a rub already, there's a good chance you'll have one afterwards.
0 x

PeddlerPete
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by PeddlerPete »

don't do it...
But if you do...gently, and evenly spread the pressure around on all 8 fingers [two thumbs if so inclined], don't say I said it was safe.
If it's not already damaged, it 'should' push in if pushed in gently.
Inadvertant 'reshaping' or ripping the cone may occur with any digit that presses too hard].
IME this test gives a set of results that may preclude having a 1/2 bake totally fry at the gig, once the coil is loose or rubbing, it won't tend to tighten back up, rubbing tends to get worse with time, heat, power, may occur only at certain frequencies etc. I figure damaged is damaged even if it works.
0 x

SpentMusic
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by SpentMusic »

Sometimes the rub is just junk that needs to be cleaned out. You can take a razor and cut out the VC cap and using a vaccum see if anything comes out of the gap. Do not use a heavy duty vaccum.

You can then play it w/o the VC cover and see if that fixes. If not you then can take it in for service. If it fixes the problem just get a VC cover from Weber or Parts Express and glue back in place. I've fixed VC rub on speakers this way.
0 x