Is there a 36 watt layout/schematic posted?

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

PatrickM

Is there a 36 watt layout/schematic posted?

Post by PatrickM »

I'd like to take a stab at the 36 watter. My 18 watt (recently completed) will not stand up to the volumes I gig at. I love the 18, but would like it twice as loud. :twisted:
0 x

fzfwyv
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by fzfwyv »

You will not get twice as loud witht he 36 watter. Volume will be roughly the same. To get twice as loud I think the amp would have to be 180 watts.
0 x

tubetek
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

watts and loudness...

Post by tubetek »

Howdy-
I believe the rule of thumb is that you need to double the wattage to achieve a 3db increase in perceived loudness. (3db being the least difference most human ears can detect; at least on a noisy stage. Have you tried the 18 thru a 4x12 sealed back cabinet?
TT
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

If you look at previous threads such as this one

http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?name= ... pic&t=1745

you can glean everything you need to build a 36W amp. The preamp is just like the 18W.

Any other details can be answered by posting questions here.
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

PatrickM

Post by PatrickM »

Thanks y'all. I guess I meant twice as much wattage. Not twice as loud. I'm relatively new at this. Just finished my first amp (thanks to Graydon), and I'm very happy with the results. The 18 watt is superb for recording and practice, but I tend to gig at large venues and require a bit more volume.

Thanks for the replies! Can't wait to get started!
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

I guess it depends on what type 36 watter you want to build. you can do a more stock trem channel 36 amp..or the TMB or whatever.

Nik should have a layout soon for one version of the TMB,and also a chassis and board for it. In a little over a week or so,i should have the first of these chassis,and to build it to make sure everything fits.
I'll also take some build picks as it goes..and post those.It will help others wanting to build this type 36 watter..
I'll also post some different layout types of channels you can use for the normal channel.. A Normal 18 channel,or the trem volume tone values for the normal channel,a 5E3,and 1 other type that is a bit different..but any of these could be used for this normal,[volume tone] channel.

As far as not much louder than an 18...this head i built is,I can tell a pretty big difference in volume. I'm useing a 35 watt OT.

Richie
0 x

cloudhopper
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by cloudhopper »

For larger venues, it is quite common for guitar players to mic their amp and then play it through the PA system. It can also be run through the monitors for more stage volume too. Most guitar players put the amp behind them aiming at their knees.....are our ears in our knees? Running the signal into the PA and monitors is a good thing, use the guitar amp for doing what it does best, creating great tone, then use the PA to pump up the volume.

This is not at all meant to discourage you from building a 36 watter, some players like the tone they get with more power. I personally think the tone is sweeter from a lower power amp and lower power speakers. It's all a matter of preference.

Carl
0 x

PatrickM

Post by PatrickM »

Looking forward to seeing all the circuits. I may build one of each :D

As for the volume issue, I have done literally thousands of gigs and recording sessions. I'm only new at BUILDING amps. Not at USING them. I have about 40 amps in my collection. And as for the volume I play onstage, I'm always at an appropriate level.

My main gigging amp for over 10 years has been a 68 Marshall Super Lead (attenuated, of course).

And besides, I really enjoyed building my first amp. I'm looking forward to doing more. :D
0 x

Graydon
Admin, Charter Member
Admin, Charter Member

Post by Graydon »

All points are good so far...

The 36W can be built with any preamp you desire. I built my first one with my own TMB and it sounded great. I am building it now with a channel switching preamp just because it has enough clean headroom to provide both a clean tone and a distorted tone at usable volumes. If you use my power section and filter supply values, you will end up with voltages very similar to an 18W so the basic character will be similar but you will immediately notice an increase in the clean headroom. When I build an 18W, I usually play it for quite a while at very high levels (7-8 on the volume) and so I am very accustomed to hearing that sound in close range. When I did that with my 36W, I hurt my ears very quickly just because of the sheer volume increase. So, I tended to play the 36W at lower volume levels (like 3-4) just because that was all the volume my ears could stand. As a result, I found myself exploring the cleaner tones of the amp, which are really nice. They are lush, sparkly and present without being too harsh or "ice-picky." Chalk that up to the fact that I borrowed some power section values from the early AC30 power section which also has 4-EL84s.

BTW, I modified a regular 18W head chassis to build my 36W. I had to punch one more tube socket and I used a 2-diode rectifier with a dropping resistor instead of a tube rectifier. This worked very well. My 36W trannys have the same footprint as the 18W trannys so they fit perfectly on that chassis. I have these available if anyone is interested. (I think I have one set left right now - I can get more very quickly)
0 x
Sincerely,
Graydon Stuckey
www.gdsamps.com
www.guytron.com

ampkits
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by ampkits »

Hello all,

Cleaned 18W chassis can be seen at:

http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPag ... hassis.htm

On the way...

Thanks!

Nik
0 x

Maccabee
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Maccabee »

8)

Hey Nik;

Your link is not working, Bro!!!

CR ><>
0 x

mikewh

Post by mikewh »

If you delete the [/url] at the end of the address it comse right up.

Mike
0 x

Plexi
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Plexi »

i can put a temporary pic/layout in my gallery. it needs a few things changed.. but for what your wanting, this section should be fine.. I think the only problem is the input wiring.. so i'll put the pic there for now,and remove it when its updated,

http://www.18watt.com/modules.php?set_a ... _photo.php

Richie
0 x