Question about finding wattage

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Johnd

Question about finding wattage

Post by Johnd »

Ok I know you take bias v/ resistor value = total Ma
take Ma and divide by 2 for each tube. so now you have the Ma for each.
So the question is do I subtract any Ma for heaters or anything. i've heard that you need to subtract something to get true values.Aslo say i get 12 watts per tube.Will the total output be 22watts.
0 x

Jason

Calculation of Plate Power Dissipation + Watts RMS

Post by Jason »

John,

Plate Dissipation [Watts]=Plate Voltage [Volts] X Plate Current [Amperes]

1. Measure plate voltage [DC]--I like to use the shunt method and/or Randall Aiken's method of measuring voltage drop across the primary and converting to current. See http://www.aikenamps.com/

2. Measure plate current [Amperes]--Make sure you convert Milliamperes to Amperes--divide Milliamperes by 1000 to get Amperes. EX: 20 milliamperes X 1000=.02 Amperes

3. Measure cathode voltage [DC]

4. Subtract the cathode voltage from the plate voltage--don't forget this step if you are biasing any cathode biased amp. EX: 330VDC plate volts - 15VDC cathode voltage = 315VDC effective plate voltage

5. Multiply effective plate voltage by plate current. EX: 315VDC X .020Amperes = 6.3 Watts

That is how much heat your EL-84 plates are dissipating. The maximum heat dissipation EL-84's are designed for is 12 Watts.

Watts RMS at clipping Measurement--do this after you verify the bias:

1. Attach a dummy load [big resistor] to match your Output transformer secondary tap [4,8,or 16 Ohm]. I like the Xicon 50 Watt Aluminum housed wirewound power resistors.

2. Attach an oscilloscope AND an AC voltmeter across this resistor--you want to measure the AC voltage on the Output transformer secondary

3. Attach a signal to your input of the amp [I use a B&K sine wave function generator--150mV AC [.150V] @ 1000 Hz. I attached a 1/4 plug from an old cable so I can plug it right into any amp I want to.

4. Increase the amp's volume until the sine wave starts to clip [flatten out on the top and bottom of the crests].

5. Measure and record the AC voltage at this point.

6. Square the measured AC voltage. EX: 15VAC Measured--15 X 15 = 225VAC

7. Divide the squared voltage by the resistor value [Ohms]. EX: 225VAC/16Ohms=14.0625 Watts

This is your Watts RMS power output at clipping.

Jason
0 x

Jason

Confusing

Post by Jason »

John,

In calculating your plate dissipation, I mentioned using the shunt method in step #1. It should be in step #2--it's for measuring current--not voltage. I got ahead of myself there a bit... :|

Jason
0 x

Jason

Screw up #2

Post by Jason »

John,

Also, in step #2, don't multiply . Divide milliamperes by 1000 to get Amperes!!

Jason

Must be the 99 degree heat...
0 x