4 ELl84’s convert to 2 EL34’s

Double-Bubble! Place for discussing the 36W version...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

glhein
Unrated

4 ELl84’s convert to 2 EL34’s

Post by glhein »

A couple questions…I own a 36 watt amp running 4 el84s. (VHT Standard 36)
If I was considering converting the amp to use 2 el34’s, should the stock transformers work?

This amp has a cathode cap and resistor for each pair of tubes…pulling the outer 2 or inner 2 to reduce power and headroom should not be a problem right?

Thanks in advance
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: 4 ELl84’s convert to 2 EL34’s

Post by dotfret »

It would help if you actually quoted the transformer type/model, but one would imagine that the transformer would also be suitable for using a pair of EL34.

If you pull one valve of each pair, it might be expected that the amp would run that way under reduced power, but the output load the remaining pair sees has to be considered. As a rule of thumb, doubling the set output impedance is a way forward - so if you take out one from each pair, and the amp is set for 4 ohm output, use an 8 ohm speaker load to avoid creaming something.
0 x

glhein
Unrated

Post by glhein »

I run an 8 ohm load now...so I take it I need to run a 16 ohm speaker load but use the 8 ohm speaker jack to avoid mismatch.
0 x

dotfret
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by dotfret »

Yes, but it is only a rule of thumb - you really should calculate the effect - but that is how most of the amps that are designed to work on 2 or 4 output valves work.
0 x

CurtissRobin
Senior Amp Tech
Senior Amp Tech

Post by CurtissRobin »

glhein wrote:A couple questions…I own a 36 watt amp running 4 el84s. (VHT Standard 36)
If I was considering converting the amp to use 2 el34’s, should the stock transformers work?
I wouldn't go there. The operating characteristics of the EL84 and EL34 are utterly different and even if the PT and OT would handle the EL34 I'd expect the vibe would disappoint you.
This amp has a cathode cap and resistor for each pair of tubes…pulling the outer 2 or inner 2 to reduce power and headroom should not be a problem right?
It may work fine or it may not. I suggest that you carefully evaluate the circuit before doing that.

KennyO
0 x

glhein
Unrated

Post by glhein »

Thanks for the replies.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Don't worry too much about "the vibe" - that's a personal taste thing, and can be tweaked if necessary. I also love EL34 tubes and will be doing a similar amp soon. I started drawing it up, but I've been too busy to finish. Hopefully by the summer I'll have time to get it going.

EL34 and EL84 tubes are very different, and I definitely want at least one of each in my arsenal.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale