EL83 / 6CK6 valves in place of EL84

Tube-specific discussions

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil

niCko
Unrated

Re: EL83 / 6CK6 valves in place of EL84

Post by niCko »

I ordered som El83 tubes cheap yesterday, I think mostly were made by siemens but a couple telefunken and mullard as well. I found a datasheet with curves at 250V g2 and to me it looks like they will work just fine with 8k load. They will bias at a lower voltage however. I'm expecting lower current and around 7Volts at the cathode for typical "18watt amp" set up .
If this turns out to be true they should distort earlier than El84 tubes. Who ever put them in the "Rory gallagher AC30 amp" and used them they must have done so for a reason. I know some AC30 users don't like the sound when they start to distort(cold PI distortion?). They like the sound just prior to distortion and on full throttle when the EL84 is working hard. However then it might be just too loud. I know on a arena loudness is good but I remember Brian May saying that the loudness of the AC30 was not helpful in recording situations and as you know they often used the Deacy transistor practice amp. Perhaps the use of El83 was to get earlier PA distortion and somewhat mask the PI distortion. I'm just speculating here and unfortunately I do not own a ac30.
0 x

Seppola
Unrated

Post by Seppola »

niCko wrote:I'm thinking of trying El83 as well. Seppola please report how it goes. I guess the only way to really find out the sound difference from EL84 is to try them out. If they sound good I will probably try to make adapters.
I put EL83 tubes to Fame 15 Studio Tube Head. Before i used old Philips EL84 and EL83:s are too Philips (nos).
I think they both sound very good and they sounds very similar.

Note! Philips EL84 cant use in this Fame amp withoud little modding. Pin 1 is used on pcb and Philips tubes pin 1 is used something inside. Example JJ EL84 works right.

I modded it first to Philips EL84, then i modded amp to use EL83.
0 x

rayandkerry

Post by rayandkerry »

Hi, all.

Anyone know where to find the switch wiring diagram that used to be in this topic?

Ray
0 x

rayandkerry

Post by rayandkerry »

How about this. Is this what we're talking about?
DPDT switch for EL83-EL84 tubes.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x