Information on Original 18W Iron

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

jnewlyn
Unrated

Information on Original 18W Iron

Post by jnewlyn »

Hey guys,
first time post here. Not a stranger to building amps although it's mainly been 50W and 100W NMV plexi types. These will be my first 18W builds. This is only a passion of mine so I take my time and try to procure all genuine stuff for these builds. I've decided to build two 1X12 combos. I have the Mustards and am currently after the Red Ants. What I cannot seem to find is the info on what the original Iron was for these amps. Radio Spares, Drake and Dagnall were the big players for the 50 and 100 watt amps but I can't find much about the 18W amps or the specs of those Transformers. Two of the biggest names I see for other 15W-20W amp from the day is Stancor and Partridge. Anybody have any info to offer on the originals? Or perhaps lead to a link or reference? Much appreciated, Happy Building. :D
0 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Re: Information on Original 18W Iron

Post by geoff 1965 »

hello,
generally i would say RS "radio spares" but marshall in the 60's were known to use whatever parts were at hand so they might of used partridge etc sometimes. i was watching an interview with Eric Clapton and he said the reason he started using fender amps was that he could'nt find 2 marshall's that sounded the same!
if you check out the good quality 18 watt transformers they usually refer to the RS for the original spec's.
i would test those mustards for leakage if you can or you might have problems.
good luck building your combo's and keep us posted with your progress.
1 x

jnewlyn
Unrated

Post by jnewlyn »

I appreciate the response Geoff. I will keep up on the build progress. I guess the Radio Spares is the barometer. MM’s, Heyboer and the others talk about exact clones of those RS types. :wink:
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Take a look at the GDS Heyboer vintage spec transformers. They're spec'd to the best vintage transformers. You can see them at gdsamps.com
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Rockinrocket
Unrated

Post by Rockinrocket »

The original was a RS one. Very very hard to find and often run 400USD+.. Keep an eye out for reproductions made by this fellow.
These are so authentic looking that I've seen scammers on Ebay try and pass these off as real vintage pieces.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/steves025uk/ ... pg=&_from=

The mustards should be good. Ive never had one leak after a 100 used. Though no 18 watt used many Mustards I've seen. Usually ceramic discks and Poly C .0047ufs.

Red ants? What are thoses??
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

I can vouch for the Valvepower OT. I have been running one for almost 9 years with no issues and being perfectly happy with the tone. My PT is a Dagnall built transformer. Again I am perfectly happy with it. Neither of these broke the bank either.

Dd
0 x