treble boost

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

treble boost

Post by geoff 1965 »

hello,
when you fit a pf cap in parallel with a resistor it creates a pass for frequencies like the 470pf "bright cap"on the diagram,so if you only wanted to boost your mid's would you go up or down in value?
Voltage_Divider_Caps.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: treble boost

Post by JMPGuitars »

In a passive tone circuit like the TMB, you can't boost anything. You really only shift or change the values to adjust the tone curve. If you want your mids in a higher range, you would raise the value of the mid resistor. If your mid resistor is .047uF, you would change it to .022uF. If it's .022uF you could try a .015uF or .01uF to see if it gives you the desired effect.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

thank's Josh,
maybe "boost" was the wrong term to use,i've been through the whole amp now fine tuning the voltages and couplers and it's perfect for the tone,dissipation etc.
there is just one last area to fine tune and that is the gain stage of the cascade,i made the mistake of attenuating the signal using my strat which has 6K ohms pickups and my other guitar has a bridge pickup with 15K ohms output. with a 220K series in the gain stage i got perfect tone & breakup with the strat but i was getting squeal/oscillation on full volume & tone with the other guitar and with 470K in the series it cured the squeal but affected the tone&breakup with the strat.
so i'm back experimenting with voltage divider values and was trying to fully understand making use of the pf caps.these 2 have been the biggest "bugbear" tweaking this area!
001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Take a look at the schematic for the Superlite TMB tone stack, and the bright/thick switch and see if anything there helps.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

yes i've studied that circuit and others,at the moment i've been all around the ballpark with the dual 500K pot,the one i have'nt tried is the classic marshall 22n-470K-1 meg pot.
if i got a dual 1 meg pot and parallel a 1 meg resistor across one of the pot's that will give me the 500K volume & 1 meg gain.
just a point worth mentioning about voltage dividers,you can use the maths to get to a certain signal voltage but also use a variable resistor for actual testing,there is a width of about 30K to play with and quite a difference in tone & breakup between 0 and 30K.
0 x