1974x tremolo channel mod query

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Cerdan
Unrated

1974x tremolo channel mod query

Post by Cerdan »

Greetings! . My first post here.
I’ve been looking for a 6g3 fender for a while (don’t come up for sale often outside the USA) I have a blonde tremolux piggyback and as looking for a smaller amp, of similar tone in a lower watt combo.

A 1974x came up for sale here. As it had tremolo (a must have for me)and was right size/wattage I thought I’d roll the dice and buy it. My first Marshall and first cathode bias amp for many a year.

I love the normal channel it has the perfect woodiness on the low notes. However, the tremolo channel is way too thin for my taste. Ive been told that jumping the channels will not work as they are outta phase.

Would I be able to have some values changed in the trem channel to make it like the normal channel - or even have tremolo in both channels? I have never owned an amp where the tremolo modulates the preamp tubes so am concerned the trem channel is voiced this way to counter tremolo thump.

Thank you
0 x

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: 1974x tremolo channel mod query

Post by crgfrench »

You should be able to use a short jumper cable between the channels. Give it a try, you won't harm the amp.
1 x

Cerdan
Unrated

Post by Cerdan »

Thank you, CRG. I did try this. However, being outa phase creates a strange phasing on the tremolo. Actually sounds a lil like a fender harmonic trem. A pleasing effect but not what I’m after.

I get to play the amp at volume today at rehearsal so it may thicken up at volume . I’ve only played it at bedroom volumes sofar
1 x

Cerdan
Unrated

Post by Cerdan »

Updating in case others have same experience.

Issue was only at low volume. Interaction between volume and tone is significant. Perfect (near) cleans - low level gain for small venue. circuit interacts well with volume and tone knobs on the guitar
3 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Cerdan wrote:
Wed 10/09/19 3:00 pm
Updating in case others have same experience.

Issue was only at low volume. Interaction between volume and tone is significant. Perfect (near) cleans - low level gain for small venue. circuit interacts well with volume and tone knobs on the guitar
That makes sense, glad you're happy with the sound.

For low volume I use a 50 watt attenuator so I can crank these amps to volumes with happy tone.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Cerdan
Unrated

Post by Cerdan »

Thank you, Josh. Good advice. I think there is a lot to learn about this amp and I could really benefit from being able to play it at lower volume at home. (Gets loud quickly)

It’s bright but works very well with backing off tone and volume on guitar and is much more forgiving than my fender amps if fretting is less than perfect
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Cerdan wrote:
Fri 10/11/19 3:58 am
Thank you, Josh. Good advice. I think there is a lot to learn about this amp and I could really benefit from being able to play it at lower volume at home. (Gets loud quickly)

It’s bright but works very well with backing off tone and volume on guitar and is much more forgiving than my fender amps if fretting is less than perfect
You'll appreciate then that attenuators often lose a little brightness when attenuating at high levels. Make sure you get at least double the wattage you intend to attenuate, and then you can crank it however much you like. Some attenuators have some variation of EQs to make up for any tone or brightness loss.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale