Slow Build...

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, Daviedawg, Graydon, zaphod_phil, rock_mumbles

lavrgs
Unrated

Slow Build...

Postby lavrgs » Mon 11/04/19 10:32 am

I'm mainly a lurker but now that winter is coming maybe it's time to get this build going...

I have had a Mojotone kit for several years and am having trouble getting through the build, mainly due to lacking motivation This is not my first build, I built an Allen Accomplice – that kit had excellent instructions and I was able to build, turn on and play but I really didn’t learn as much as I was hoping… still a new builder

The Mojotone challenges, for me , are many; the confusing layout and ultimately the style of amp is not the sound that I go for, I like clean amps...but this kit will get me closer to the original intent – learn how tube amps work, what parts of the circuit do etc. I just read about 6CM6 tubes and want to know if they would transform the amp to get cleaner tones.

I have the board built and the chassis populated, tube heaters wired. The next step is the control wiring… and as I watch videos on amp build it occurred to me that using all white wiring is not a great idea. I will go back and replace the fly leads on the board with appropriate colors (?) and remove the ground bus off the pots. My original intent was to build the kit as it was intended and modify it later, but now I’m thinking I just want to simplify it – not build the tremolo channel. Thoughts?

Mojotone recently updated their layout and I found the wiring on my input jacks was wrong so I updated the wiring. I am confident the board components are correct and in the proper location.

It seems that if I could find a layout for a TMB with no tremolo That might be my choice – I was planning on building the kit as it was intended then making changes but I think if I simplified the build I may just get ‘er done…
0 x
Rider

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Slow Build...

Postby JMPGuitars » Mon 11/04/19 5:44 pm

Hi,

A mojotone kit is a great way to learn how to build amps...but mostly because their kits are not great, and people almost always spend time troubleshooting them. BUT eventually they come out nice, and that troubleshooting is where the real learning happens.

You can use all the same color wire, but I don't recommend it for a first or second build. If you're careful, it's fine tho.

There are PLENTY of options for you in our downloads section: viewforum.php?f=25

The amps are generally either TMB or Tremolo. Two channel TMBs or Superlite TMB are all great. Even simpler is the Lite 2b series, which is a fantastic sounding/fun amp.

However, if you've already populated their weird layout on the board, it might be more effort than it's worth to try a different build. You have to decide what you really want first, and then do that.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright
Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
Amp Tools & Test Equipment
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram

lavrgs
Unrated

Postby lavrgs » Tue 11/05/19 10:31 am

"However, if you've already populated their weird layout on the board, it might be more effort than it's worth to try a different build. You have to decide what you really want first, and then do that."

That is sage advice. I will stick with my original plan of building it as it was designed.
I just pulled out Robert Megantz's Design and Construction of Tube Guitar Amplifiers and it does seem to be a great resource.

I will update as I run into problems. I also realize that I truly am a lurker - this is post #2 8-(
1 x
Rider

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Postby Daviedawg » Wed 11/06/19 3:01 am

Lurking is a long respected use of the knowledge here. But it is also nice to hear from you. Welcome.

Dd
2 x

Return to “18watt Technical Discussion”