Famous guitars

Anything guitar techish goes here.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Famous guitars

Post by crgfrench »

I'm hoping that collectively we can identify the brand of guitars being used in these pictures of BB King and Jimi Hendrix. These are not their usual axes.
Jimmi-Hendrix-Playing-a-Machine-Gun--119135.jpg
FB_IMG_1579443957179.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Famous guitars

Post by JMPGuitars »

Hendrix's guitar says Fender right on it. :roll:
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

206AE86
Unrated

Post by 206AE86 »

I've been focusing in improvising lately but i've only used pentatonics so far. So i was wondering what kind of scales do the best guitar players use?

I heard that people like Clapton and BB King only work with pentatonics and Vai and Satriani work with modes, can you guys please explain this further?
0 x

ZoSo_Addict
Unrated

Post by ZoSo_Addict »

206AE86 wrote:
Thu 10/01/20 12:05 pm
I've been focusing in improvising lately but i've only used pentatonics so far. So i was wondering what kind of scales do the best guitar players use?

I heard that people like Clapton and BB King only work with pentatonics and Vai and Satriani work with modes, can you guys please explain this further?
All or most legendary status guitarists use their own augmentations of scales. I could go on for a while about pentatonics and modes and their definitions and whatnot, but I'll be more broad, to give a better idea of my perspective.
You can categorize types of scales, with pentatonics and modes being more prevalent with guitarists. The one you use is defined by the sound you want to achieve. Both types of scales are not like exact rules but more like framework made to be built up on, like the foundation of a house. Clapton and BB King both use pentatonics because their styles of music are both based on the blues. Not to say modes can't be used in blues, but those are the kind of blues that they played. Meanwhile, Vai and Satriani use modes, probably to get that exotic, heavenly sound as they shred. However, the roles can switch; modes in music were largely popularized by early jazz musicians, most notably of which being Miles Davis.
I'm not sure if this is the kind of answer you asked for, so I indeed hope it is satisfactory.
0 x