First sounds of the 18W TMB tremolo build

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: First sounds of the 18W TMB tremolo build

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Tue 04/14/20 4:26 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Tue 04/14/20 3:40 pm
Great!! I'm curious how yours is gonna turn out..
I wonder if you will also need the clean mod pot. Mine won't get clean until the resistor to ground on V2 pin7 is between 60 and 120k. So the 250k pot with 220l resistor wouldn't get me in the right ballpark.
I have a new board, new turrets, belton sockets, all resistors and caps + 22 AWG stranded clothwire on the way. The new board is longer than a standard 18W type. Gives me room for the components + the PR mod.
I made the schematic for the version I'm building include the pot by default. I'm going to use an A500K pot to determine the minimum and maximum useful values, and then go from there. I'll add a resistor in for whatever minimum value sounds good to me. I'm guessing 47K, but I won't know until I've tested it.

If your wire isn't pre-tinned, and bonded, tin it first.

Make sure you download the latest docs before you build. Whatever they are that day. ;)
I'm confused by your board layout. Did you move certain parts or alter their position?
I have received a 300x60mm board. The parts will just fit on that one. But the standard 18w board is really too small. Yours is going to be crowded aswell I think. The 450V caps are very place consuming. Oh new board is pretty narrow with 6 holes in a row. So I will let the ground bus run parallel at 1/2" offset
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Wed 04/15/20 3:23 pm
I'm confused by your board layout. Did you move certain parts or alter their position?
I have received a 300x60mm board. The parts will just fit on that one. But the standard 18w board is really too small. Yours is going to be crowded aswell I think. The 450V caps are very place consuming. Oh new board is pretty narrow with 6 holes in a row. So I will let the ground bus run parallel at 1/2" offset
I moved and altered positions of things. This is a much better layout to reduce noise and improve the ground scheme.

All my drawings are drawn 1:1 scale. I just modified the layout so the board is 300mm. You can download and print it to scale and use it as a guide to drill your board.

It fits fine on the 300mm board. But for anybody who doesn't have that much space, the 3 resistors on the left side of the board could be placed on a turret strip off board instead, between the board and the cap can.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Wed 04/15/20 3:57 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Wed 04/15/20 3:23 pm
I moved and altered positions of things. This is a much better layout to reduce noise and improve the ground scheme.

All my drawings are drawn 1:1 scale. I just modified the layout so the board is 300mm. You can download and print it to scale and use it as a guide to drill your board.

It fits fine on the 300mm board. But for anybody who doesn't have that much space, the 3 resistors on the left side of the board could be placed on a turret strip off board instead, between the board and the cap can.

Thanks,
Josh
Well I managed to get it all on the board. Tried fitting the bigger caps and it seems like it's going to be just fine
But like I already said, the ground bus for the preamp has to be placed sideways parallel with the board. I think 1/2" will be allright
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Josh, I noticed that on the TMB tremolo the treble cap is 250pf whilst the treble cap on the superlite TMB is 500pf. I assume that cap tames the highs.. I ordered and received a 330pf to shave off some highs.. I didn't want to make a too big step out of this. Will the 330pf make an audible difference to the 250pf?
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Thu 04/16/20 5:03 am
Josh, I noticed that on the TMB tremolo the treble cap is 250pf whilst the treble cap on the superlite TMB is 500pf. I assume that cap tames the highs.. I ordered and received a 330pf to shave off some highs.. I didn't want to make a too big step out of this. Will the 330pf make an audible difference to the 250pf?
I dunno. Probably. Practice tells more than just the theory will, especially considering those are often large tolerances.

The 500pF treble cap, and B50K mid pot are the main things missing from ZP's "Jalapeno" tone stack. The tone stack sounds great either way.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 04/16/20 12:40 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Thu 04/16/20 5:03 am
I dunno. Probably. Practice tells more than just the theory will, especially considering those are often large tolerances.

The 500pF treble cap, and B50K mid pot are the main things missing from ZP's "Jalapeno" tone stack. The tone stack sounds great either way.
So the jalapeno is focussed on the higher mids?
0 x