Layout 18 watt classic

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Layout 18 watt classic

Post by Bieworm »

bvayling wrote:
Sun 04/26/20 7:31 am
I’ll have to pay more attention. I’ll confess to not actually having played my classic combo that much yet, having been so far mostly obsessed with voltages and dissipation. I hadn’t noticed that much difference between the two channels though, so I’ll look into that. Maybe I’ll turn down the volume knob!
It really sounds so much better...with creamy OD on top. The bright cap is the first to go..seriously
I'm just gonna do it. Trem channel with normal channel parts
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 04/26/20 11:02 am
It really sounds so much better...with creamy OD on top. The bright cap is the first to go
That's funny, most people prefer the tone knob on the trem channel compared to the normal channel. That's why the Lite series of builds use the trem channel tone stack, even though they've basically just cut the trem channel out of the build.

What you sound like you're describing to me is the desire to revoice the channel. You can change the values in the tone stack to adjust the sound how you like it.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 04/26/20 11:07 am
Bieworm wrote:
It really sounds so much better...with creamy OD on top. The bright cap is the first to go
That's funny, most people prefer the tone knob on the trem channel compared to the normal channel. That's why the Lite series of builds use the trem channel tone stack, even though they've basically just cut the trem channel out of the build.

What you sound like you're describing to me is the desire to revoice the channel. You can change the values in the tone stack to adjust the sound how you like it.
Was thinking about making the 500pf cap switchable. But don't know if it will lift the bottom end ... should I go for the. 022 cap too?
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Bieworm wrote:

The trem channel has two 0.005uF coupling caps in series, effectively the same as 0.0025uF, which are cutting the low frequencies. Using 0.01 or 0.022uF caps instead, will really open up those lows for you.
2 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Sun 04/26/20 2:49 pm
JMPGuitars wrote:
Bieworm wrote:

The trem channel has two 0.005uF coupling caps in series, effectively the same as 0.0025uF, which are cutting the low frequencies. Using 0.01 or 0.022uF caps instead, will really open up those lows for you.
Thx ZP !!! Changed them both in .022uf and I like it much better now :)
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Josh, in your effects loop you have the 2x 68k and 1x 47k with the .01uf caps. Robrob don't do any of these. What's the function of those? And why is yours supreme? Not questioning your design, just curious...
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Mon 04/27/20 1:26 pm
Josh, in your effects loop you have the 2x 68k and 1x 47k with the .01uf caps. Robrob don't do any of these. What's the function of those? And why is yours supreme? Not questioning your design, just curious...
I didn't invent it. I copied it from the downloads section: download/file.php?id=10460&mode=view

It's designed to work with 18Watters and it works great. I assume the resistors are to keep the signal levels in a good spot.

I run it PTP to the board from the jacks. Besides what I assume is for safe signal levels, the resistors also give the caps the length to make it work without adding wires.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Josh
I'm thinking about making the amp a 1 input, 2 channel amp with channel selector switch.
Is this layout something I can go on with?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

You could try that with shielded wire. If you did that though, I would connect pins 2 and 7 of the first preamp tube so that channel runs the tube in parallel. Or you could add a cascade/parallel switch to the first preamp.

The other option is to run an AB/Y box, but then you wouldn't need to modify the amp, and it wouldn't be as fun.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Thu 04/30/20 6:43 am
You could try that with shielded wire. If you did that though, I would connect pins 2 and 7 of the first preamp tube so that channel runs the tube in parallel. Or you could add a cascade/parallel switch to the first preamp.

The other option is to run an AB/Y box, but then you wouldn't need to modify the amp, and it wouldn't be as fun.
You can see right through me. Fun is nr1, but all the confusion about inputs on an 18 watt is nr2. PLUS I want to use 2 inputs in the frontpanel for the FX loop..

I guess if I ever get to the point that I'm tweaked out, I will have to get some custom made frontpanels crafted so it all fits. And honestly, that too I will probably do myself ;)
1 x