Tubes delivery date is today for my Marshall JCM 800!

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

ZeroPointEnergy

Re: Tubes delivery date is today for my Marshall JCM 800!

Post by ZeroPointEnergy »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sun 05/17/20 8:36 am
I'm a big fan of Hipshot open back locking tuners.

There's used attenuators all over the place, and a broad price range on the DIY versions. This is the attenuator clone I made: https://youtu.be/3oSZVg2STXw

If you don't hate that attenuator, I made a build doc for it in the downloads.
I am really liking my Hipshot open back locking tuners! I put the old Grover buttons on it, which are wider and a bit more smooth for better aerodynamics. hehe Leverage is a good thing. Clean string job, and goes much quicker. Very nice.

I also finally put the stop piece down snug to the deck, and so now I mount the strings in reverse. So my guitar looks great with a little neater headstock with no string tails and the over wrap on the stop piece looks old school legit. hehe I need to break in the strings.

Oh yeah, I did run into a problem in that the holes did not line up. They were half a hole off in the wrong direction. So instead of drilling, I just installed them more tightly, so hopefully they will not slip.

I have to be careful about not bumping the headstock and accidentally knocking one of the tuners out of alignment. Talk about bad engineering. And the metal runner are junk, they don't help hold or lock the tuners in position, they are just oversized washers. @@ So I didn't use them.

I am so happy having my amp up and running. It's mostly there, just needs some attenuation to help the power tubes overdrive better.

~~~

Speaking of attenuation. I just hit the purchase button on an Eminence Redcoat Series, Reignmaker, 12", 8 Ohm Guitar Speaker 2015!

It has it's own built in power attenuator, by moving the magnet away from the voice coil. This is good news! The shipping label was created, so I figure that means I bought it before someone else, because I did loose an order that way once.

Here's hoping the order arrives at my place soon!
hurray :inlove: :satisfied:
reignmaker.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
Mon 05/25/20 2:51 pm
I am really liking my Hipshot open back locking tuners! I put the old Grover buttons on it, which are wider and a bit more smooth for better aerodynamics. hehe Leverage is a good thing. Clean string job, and goes much quicker. Very nice.

I also finally put the stop piece down snug to the deck, and so now I mount the strings in reverse. So my guitar looks great with a little neater headstock with no string tails and the over wrap on the stop piece looks old school legit. hehe I need to break in the strings.

Oh yeah, I did run into a problem in that the holes did not line up. They were half a hole off in the wrong direction. So instead of drilling, I just installed them more tightly, so hopefully they will not slip.

I have to be careful about not bumping the headstock and accidentally knocking one of the tuners out of alignment. Talk about bad engineering. And the metal runner are junk, they don't help hold or lock the tuners in position, they are just oversized washers. @@ So I didn't use them.
I'm glad you like them. The holes aren't intended to line up, they're not drop-in replacements. Those "oversized washers" work great. I've used them on a number of guitars including $5000 Gibsons. You need to install them correctly, but they brace the tuners just fine. I would try them out, and make sure they're lined up the right way next time you change your strings (if they're not installed correctly, you're correct, they do nothing). You're asking for bad tubing stability as it is currently.

Your other option is to simply drill the holes, it's not that big of a deal. Shift to tuner head to match the angle of the side of the headstock, and you'll probably have enough room. If not, you could fill the old holes, and drill new ones. Or just use the plates. ;)

The Grover buttons fit on the Hipshot tuners? That's odd, they don't usually have the same size parts.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

ZeroPointEnergy

JMPGuitars wrote:
Mon 05/25/20 3:02 pm
ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
Mon 05/25/20 2:51 pm

I'm glad you like them. The holes aren't intended to line up, they're not drop-in replacements. Those "oversized washers" work great. I've used them on a number of guitars including $5000 Gibsons. You need to install them correctly, but they brace the tuners just fine. I would try them out, and make sure they're lined up the right way next time you change your strings (if they're not installed correctly, you're correct, they do nothing). You're asking for bad tubing stability as it is currently.

Your other option is to simply drill the holes, it's not that big of a deal. Shift to tuner head to match the angle of the side of the headstock, and you'll probably have enough room. If not, you could fill the old holes, and drill new ones. Or just use the plates. ;)

The Grover buttons fit on the Hipshot tuners? That's odd, they don't usually have the same size parts.
I would not have purchased them if I known in advance they were not matching hole replacements. I feel sure I saw they said their holes line up with standard hole patterns, in case you want to install them individually, but I could be mistaken.

It's possible the buttons are replacements, but one might assume they came with the Grovers. I included the Grover's spring washer, but the Hipshots only had a flat nylon washer. With just Hipshots, they are smaller but work more naturally and feel connected.

The Grovers are smoother operating, but feel a bit like it's less directly connected. I may go back to the other buttons, IDK.

I can't wait till I tune down a step to D when I play Metallica's Turn the Page. It should tune just fine. Maybe I should take the spring washers off, IDK. I do prefer the higher gear ratio. Finer tuning is nice.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
Mon 05/25/20 6:01 pm
I would not have purchased them if I known in advance they were not matching hole replacements. I feel sure I saw they said their holes line up with standard hole patterns, in case you want to install them individually, but I could be mistaken.
You're referring to what I said. They were direct hole replacements for one of my guitars. But that's not universally true, even staying with one brand of guitar. Or one brand of tuners for that matter. Most tuner brands generally have different spacing and position options to some degree.

ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
It's possible the buttons are replacements, but one might assume they came with the Grovers. I included the Grover's spring washer, but the Hipshots only had a flat nylon washer. With just Hipshots, they are smaller but work more naturally and feel connected.

The Grovers are smoother operating, but feel a bit like it's less directly connected. I may go back to the other buttons, IDK.

I can't wait till I tune down a step to D when I play Metallica's Turn the Page. It should tune just fine. Maybe I should take the spring washers off, IDK. I do prefer the higher gear ratio. Finer tuning is nice.
There's a ton of button options for the Hipshots: https://hipshotproducts.com/collections ... er-buttons

Those buttons generally come with the correct hardware to mount them in the machines you have (some are different screw lengths based on size).

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

ZeroPointEnergy

JMPGuitars wrote:
Mon 05/25/20 6:52 pm
ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
You're referring to what I said. They were direct hole replacements for one of my guitars. But that's not universally true, even staying with one brand of guitar. Or one brand of tuners for that matter. Most tuner brands generally have different spacing and position options to some degree.

ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
It's possible the buttons are replacements, but one might assume they came with the Grovers.

There's a ton of button options for the Hipshots: https://hipshotproducts.com/collections ... er-buttons

Those buttons generally come with the correct hardware to mount them in the machines you have (some are different screw lengths based on size).

Thanks,
Josh
Oh,, actually I just assumed they held standard industry hole position locations. I used the same bolts that came with the grovers, and they were a bit longer. I hope that was not a mistake.

I will put the original buttons back on as they fit properly, and wait for proper replacement buttons. Good call. It's so nice how fast it tunes up.
Last edited by ZeroPointEnergy on Thu 05/28/20 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
Mon 05/25/20 7:05 pm
Oh,, actually I just assumed they held standard industry hole position locations. I used the same bolts that came with the grovers, and they were a bit longer. I hope that was not a mistake.

I will replace the old tuners, and wait for a proper replacement. Good call. It's so nice how fast it tunes up.
You're a very optimistic person, lol. There's no such thing as an industry standard. Even within each company, there's likely to be differences. Heck, there's not even a real standard for the tuner holes on the guitars (there are some more common values, but it depends on brand and model). Grover for example has a million different versions, and then where they're manufactured changes things too.

If you google the Hipshot tuner buttons, you'll find more pictures of them. The link I sent is good for ordering them, but the pictures aren't all great.
1 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

And how is the amplifier going? :wink:

Don't forget we have the Guitar Tech Bench forum for guitar tech and modification discussions- viewforum.php?f=27
2 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

ZeroPointEnergy

zaphod_phil wrote:
Wed 05/27/20 7:31 pm
And how is the amplifier going? :wink:

Don't forget we have the Guitar Tech Bench forum for guitar tech and modification discussions- viewforum.php?f=27
zaphod_phil wrote:
Sat 05/16/20 3:36 pm
So please tell us how your amp sounds with its new 12AX7s :)
Thanks again for asking. The following is quoted from earlier, because I did not hear a response from you yet. I sorta figured it was missed. So here it is again. The struggle for better sound continues.

It helps, but,, I guess the real problem is that my power section is not really cooking yet. It's closer, and I really like the Mullards in all three spots, with a close second given to Genalex, with great feel and sensitivity. Like a brighter Mullard, really.

The Tung-Sols have the gain structure down really nice, but I don't like the tonal nature. Not enough blooming notes, and not warm enough.

The Mullard MU12AX7, was surprisingly slightly higher gain specs than the other version, the CV4004, because the CV4004 specified it's slightly higher gain, but the other one, did not mention higher gain, so I probably need to order some more of these to really tell which is the higher gain version.

I find the Mallards are the richest, the warmest but full bodied, and sounding with the most blooming notes, very nice. I still lack something, as my amp does not yet have singing sustain.

I also replaced the power tubes recently, when I got my amp working, so I don't know if they need biasing or not. I am guessing my previous power tubes, saturated and broke up a bit earlier, and that's why I feel like I should have more singing sustain.

I get more increased pick sensitivity and great pinched harmonics, from the Mullards and Gelalex. So I mostly miss the soaring overtones and singing sustain. Very controllable, not harsh. I'm probably missing that from the power section, because of the new Mullard EL34 tubes.

I figure I either need a Variac, or a decent power attenuator, or probably both! If only money was not a problem. @@
Last edited by ZeroPointEnergy on Thu 05/28/20 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ZeroPointEnergy

JMPGuitars wrote:
Mon 05/25/20 8:32 pm
ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
Mon 05/25/20 7:05 pm

I will replace the old tuners, and wait for a proper replacement. Good call. It's so nice how fast it tunes up.
You're a very optimistic person, lol. There's no such thing as an industry standard. Even within each company, there's likely to be differences. Heck, there's not even a real standard for the tuner holes on the guitars (there are some more common values, but it depends on brand and model). Grover for example has a million different versions, and then where they're manufactured changes things too.

If you google the Hipshot tuner buttons, you'll find more pictures of them. The link I sent is good for ordering them, but the pictures aren't all great.
I'm so optimistic, I began inventing my own ideas. And exploring other people's advanced ideas. I believe things should be better for all. For myself, I seek the best, especially for the most important issues.

I don't want to wait until I pass on to the next life, to find out, oh wow, would you look at that, you mean we could have had free energy, if we would have just looked for it seriously enough. The story of our ancient prehistory, suggests they had technology that outdoes ours, and almost certainly did not rely on petroleum fuel for energy.

Ed Leedskalnin's perpetual holder device, seems to defy physics. You normally need electronic current, to keep an electromagnet to work. But his device does not work that way. What causes the keeper, to be magnetically clamped, but the DC electronic current has stopped. What keeps the keeper there? Is there something circulating, if so, what is it?

What if you put a semi-conductor in between the keeper and the horseshoe, what is circulating indefinitely? What if the bar, was in part, made as a coil? So many tests, so many questions, so much to learn.

He left us clues, I am going to explore and learn. 8)
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Note from Admin: This thread has now gone way, way off topic!
2 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Fri 05/29/20 7:43 pm
Me thinks the only extreme passion subject here MUST be 18 watt related, ok 36 watt too sometimes 😃😃😃
There are other websites that probably devote themselves to other obsessions 😉
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 05/30/20 6:27 am
zaphod_phil wrote:
Fri 05/29/20 7:43 pm
Me thinks the only extreme passion subject here MUST be 18 watt related, ok 36 watt too sometimes 😃😃😃
There are other websites that probably devote themselves to other obsessions 😉
No need to go to that extreme, as there are areas right here on this site which specifically cater for some of these other topics, such as "Tube Talk","By the Bench" and "Guitar Tech Bench". However, in my experience, most BBS sites don't really like threads that start on one topic and then head off into others. That was more my point here. It's helpful to everyone if we stay on topic.
1 x