What to do after an 18W?

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Tommy_D

What to do after an 18W?

Post by Tommy_D »

Hi everyone

I've now found myself thinking about what I want to do for my next amp build......

What directions have you guys gone after your 18W builds?

Thinking point-to-point, built-in reverb, experimenting with different power tubes. Any recs welcome!

thanks
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: What to do after an 18W?

Post by JMPGuitars »

There are many variations on the 18W, including some new ones I've introduced. Take a look through the downloads section for different versions and see if anything interests you. Maybe try out a 36W.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

20200723_111101.jpg
I built the TMB Tremolo 18 watt after building my 18 watt classic. Fun too :)
after that I have recently built a 2x10 extension cab to carry the combo's and I built the lamington reverb in that extension cab. Very satisfied!!!
20200721_223346.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Tommy_D

Post by Tommy_D »

Saw your Lamington reverb posts, definitely one to look into

I suppose another way to frame the question is, beyond 18 watts, where has the quest of tone brought forum members?
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

it appears you're getting closer to th " point of no return".. it's an addiction building amps... I have gotten into more trouble with my not-understanding wife about neglecting the family responsibilities... that's a symptom of addiction, no?

Careful ;)
3 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

crgfrench
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by crgfrench »

36W or JTM45
1 x

Weathered
Unrated

Post by Weathered »

I think you could go in a few directions, and it might help you to think about what you want to do that the 18W may not cover. I think it's fun to have something running big bottle tubes, whether it's a Plexi, JTM45, or 2204. They're a bit trickier to build, but not out of the realm if you've already had success with an 18W. Another option could be exploring the Fender side of things, with either a 5E3 or 6G3.

My first 2 builds were 18 watters, one TMB and one Marwatt. After that, I built a Trinity Triwatt (Hiwatt inspired, running 6V6 tubes for a bit lower volume). Subsequently, I've built my interpretation of the AC30 tone using the Trainwreck Liverpool as a starting point and a 50W Plexi that started as a Super Bass and has morphed into a Super Lead little by little. I find that I really like the British tones a bit more than traditional Fender stuff, but I will do a brown Deluxe some time soon.
0 x

Tommy_D

Post by Tommy_D »

I’m playing with the idea of a Princeton Reverb 64 (no trem) but cathode biased rather than fixed biased

Point to point for easy mods and maintenance. Thought the turrets were a PITA and I’m not looking forward to changing filter caps.......

TMB controls if I can figure out a good stack (Princeton is TB). Any thoughts?

Maybe a switch(es) to accommodate 6L6s that I would never use!

PA&PI VVR for cool tones at lower volume

Should keep me busy for a while
0 x

neikeel

Post by neikeel »

I’ve mainly done big stuff (plexis, oranges and hiwatts) but x4 18w of different flavours too.
I knocked up a Princeton based on the A1164 but minus the Trem in a 1x12 Fender combo cab I had lying around.
Like you I wanted option of different tubes but went with fixed bias but chose an LTP set up in the PI with a Master volume and a Presence pot too (after experimentation the presence is very much like the Bassman/JTM45). I am quite happy with the 6v6s at the moment. And the reverb (I used longest tank I could) is pretty lush.
Complements my other stuff very well.
0 x

Tommy_D

Post by Tommy_D »

Interesting, thanks!

What does the LTP PI add vs. using 1/2 12ax7 like the original design does?

Also curious about the values you’ve used for the presence and how you’ve wired that. That was something I was thinking about but have zero experience!

Noted re the using the longest reverb tank

Thank you!!
0 x

Tommy_D

Post by Tommy_D »

Interesting stuff here
https://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/the-long-tail-pair

Curious to know if you connected reverb and feedback to the LTP PI or left it as it normally is in the original Princeton circuit please
0 x