Wiring clarification + Turret Board Connections

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: Wiring clarification + Turret Board Connections

Post by davemojo »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 10:59 am
davemojo wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 10:23 am
Hey folks

When looking at this, see photo, there are mainly 2 to 3 ways when soldering turret board.

for components such resistors we could feed the turret with solder, so from the top.
another method is to create a little hook on the resistor to create a solid connection and to solder the side of the turret between the hook and the turret itself. I watched Josh videos, the old vintage video explaining all different method , fantastic today I was able to train myself on a broken turret board, perfect for simulation and practice.

I also have a question, if you check the wire connections coming from pots, gray wire, on the photo example I see a clean job with wire solder under the turret.

Now to be able to do that you must put the turret upside down, but that isn't practicle and even possible, so how would that wire be soldered underneath turret, the only way I see it is you prepare that in advance before connecting the turret to chassis and even before adding components, correct?
Dave... forget about soldering the underside. Only top side soldering. You don't wanna have trouble when you have to resolder connections when everything is soldered. Try to avoid soldering in the holes of the turrets. Use hooked wires around the turrets. Much easier to redo. The holes in the turrets are a mess and there is little control over it when the solder drips underneath, making shorts between the turrets and chassis. I myself try to only use the holes for the ground bus.
Try soldering the holes.. there is always some goo coming out of it when soldering
Here is my 18W tremolo TMB reverb.. some kind of example on this. Not perfect, but it gives you the idea :20201206_141347.jpg

Thanks in fact on the first amp, the one I have to redo, I have soldered the component with hook method.

Ok make sense, see below of course the soldering itself is crap, but that was number one first time in my life now it is all much clear I am just ruling off doubts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

It's a good attempt there.. but some connections are not really tight. They have to be really tight to the turrets.
Screenshot_20210418-193809_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210418-193949_Samsung Internet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Where do you live in Holland? Maybe we live near eachother and I might be able to help you out? I'm from Diepenbeek in Belgium

Edit: ok I looked..it's near Amsterdam, so you live 2h away from me.. not the end of the world hey
2 x

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 12:43 pm
Where do you live in Holland? Maybe we live near eachother and I might be able to help you out? I'm from Diepenbeek in Belgium

Edit: ok I looked..it's near Amsterdam, so you live 2h away from me.. not the end of the world hey
Yes I live in Hoofddorp a place no faraway from Amsterdam we are neighbor indeed :D
2 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

TriodeLuvr
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Post by TriodeLuvr »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 12:37 pm
It's a good attempt there.. but some connections are not really tight. They have to be really tight to the turrets.
A bigger problem that I see in these photos is that there's very little solder, and what there is of it doesn't appear to have flowed into the joint very well or onto the turrets. This looks similar in that respect to the photos of the stranded wire in the tube socket lugs. Not enough heat; not enough solder.

Jack
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

TriodeLuvr wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 8:06 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 12:37 pm
A bigger problem that I see in these photos is that there's very little solder, and what there is of it doesn't appear to have flowed into the joint very well or onto the turrets. This looks similar in that respect to the photos of the stranded wire in the tube socket lugs. Not enough heat; not enough solder.

Jack
That's well possible. But IME pictures can be misleading. But you're probably right
1 x

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Bieworm wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 10:19 pm
TriodeLuvr wrote:
Sun 04/18/21 8:06 pm

Jack
That's well possible. But IME pictures can be misleading. But you're probably right
Yes on that first attempt on first built you right guys there is no enough solder.

I know the technique a little better I watched the videos and I did it all wrong on that first build. I will post some photos on how I am doing now on some test board.

In fact I learnt how to solder on board (turret) creating that hook, starting from the bottom of the turret, so in other words with one component let's say one resistor you solder from bottom same with wire first wire on the bottom and second one on top.

I notice on the video how to keep the the soldering tip to a 45 degree angle to put some solder on top and to drag it away from there into the joint.

difficult to explain with writing only, but basically I a referring to Josh's video

Thanks
2 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks