question on Brown Note lite IIb and Luckey Dual Lite

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

rstoeck
Unrated

question on Brown Note lite IIb and Luckey Dual Lite

Post by rstoeck »

Hello all,

I've recently returned to guitar/amp life after many years working too hard on the career treadmill. For a few years I've been building and wiring my own guitars and pedals and just finished a little solid state amplifier. I've modded an old Vox ac15cc1 so that it's now pretty close to sounding like a real Vox. I've learned enough safety to avoid starting fires or electrocuting myself and continue to upgrade my electronics knowledge. I'm now looking at building my first tube amp and am in the reading phase. So based on my questions below you may warn me away from the whole project but I thought I'd take the risk of embarrassing myself.

1. I've gotten a layout for the Brown Note Lite IIb (http://rh-tech.org/public/18-Watt/18W_L ... L_v1.1.jpg), but it does not list the value of the can capacitor. I can't find the exact schematic for the amp, but the Lite IIb schematics I can find list it as 33uf/33uf. The closest can cap I can find (commonly used in 18 watt builds) is a 32uf/32uf. Advice?

2. I'm also very intrigued by Steve Luckey's 18 watt Vox/Marshall Dual Lite (http://sluckeyamps.com/dual_lite/dual_lite.pdf). It seems he used an old Hammond AO23279 power transformer with a 630 volt center tap and an AO23281 output transformer with only a 4 ohm output, according to the schematics. I am having difficulty finding a closely compatible power transformer and would prefer an output transformer that serves 8 ohms. But I have not yet learned enough to know the risks of not sticking exactly to the specs and there is no contact info on his website. Advice?

Thanks in advance.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: question on Brown Note lite IIb and Luckey Dual Lite

Post by JMPGuitars »

Welcome to the site!

To get started, I suggest you take a look in the downloads section (link on the left toolbar under Navigation) at different circuit options, which should answer your first question. I also recommend that you read the threads in my signature to perfect your skills for the best outcome on your next amp project.

Thanks,
Josh
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

rstoeck
Unrated

Post by rstoeck »

I meant to report back a while ago, but time moves too fast. Anyway, as a result of this thread I ended up doing a lot of reading and ultimately building the JMP 18 Watt Superlite TMB. I just wanted to post the result. I like the sound too. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Looks great! I'm glad you worked everything out. Now, where's the demos? 😉
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale