Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Valve Standard to 18 Watt conversion Cabinet

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 08/21/21 3:50 pm
wade wrote:
Sat 08/21/21 10:21 am
I am surprised you both feel that a 40ish watt amp is not needed. I realize it depends on what you are using the amp for. In my very limited experience playing in a band as a teen we had my Princeton and a borrowed Twin Reverb. The Princeton would have to be near max to compete with the drummer and then the amp was distorted at that volume. We did not play in clubs obviously, but we did play in gymnasiums and a lot outside. I will say we did have the circuit breakers pulled on us more than once so if nothing else we were loud. I would think there are many places where you would play where you could not mike into a PA system. What am I missing. Thanks
18W is 67% as loud as a 100W. The question is the circuit, and the amount of headroom needed.

I believe Bieworm uses his 18W with his band. I think 18 to 40W is a fine range. Good 18W and 36W OTs can handle that range beautifully.

If you're playing professionally, there should always be a PA available. If there isn't, it's not a professional gig...which is fine too, just crank the amp. ;)

Thanks,
Josh
That's right! 18 watt is for me just a little tiny bit too much. But the right amount.. in the right moments I take it to 100% and love it to death!!!
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"