I hate doing tolex

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

cstenger5

I hate doing tolex

Post by cstenger5 »

That's all, really. I'm too cheap (read: poor) to not do the work myself, and I don't have the patience to have results I'd be proud to sell. It's mostly the inside corners that give me the most trouble (as you shape the corner, and wrap around under the lip), but damn fellas... es no bueno.

looks great in person and in pics, but if you *really* open them up and inspect, the 5th grade art class project shows through. Someone pass me the glitter glue.

I make everything for myself (been a luthier for decades), but with the idea that I will sell what I can to continue to feed the hobby. Gotta be top quality though, otherwise I'm not comfortable selling. So things like tolex kill me.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Chris Stenger
Stenger Guitars
https://www.instagram.com/stengerguitars/

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: I hate doing tolex

Post by JMPGuitars »

There are some good videos on youtube for tolexing. That's where I learned. I hate doing it too, and generally have cabinets made for me, but the ones I did came out well. You should make scrap practice boxes you can practice tolexing on if you're really interested in making/selling amps.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

cstenger5

Post by cstenger5 »

Thanks Josh, I'll revisit them, or I'll win the lottery. I have a tweed cab from Mojotone, and except for a couple very minor issues (a couple of rear panel screws cocked from having their holes hand drilled without a ton of care, which of course has no visible or structural impact), the quality is outstanding. But it definitely jacks up my build time, costs, and doesn't always fit my vision from a form factor perspective. I can absolutely live with my tolexing deficits as a player, but not as a builder.
2 x
Chris Stenger
Stenger Guitars
https://www.instagram.com/stengerguitars/

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

It's just part of the process..I enjoy it in every aspect.
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

POWDOG

Post by POWDOG »

I kinda get exited when I’m starting a job, but when it’s done I don’t want to look at Tolex for a while. Alternate between the cabinet construction, the Tolex and the amp build to keep it new.

Corners are always the hard part. Look closely at some Fender amps. There’s a long cut and a short relief cut (to get rid of the pucker). I use a steel rule to get it straight. I also use Weldwood contact cement in the red can which allows you to move the Tolex around a bit. I cut a little proud to allow for shrinkage and let the cab sit overnight.

Next day I hit the corners with a heat gun and super glue. Push the warm edges together, lift them a little and brush some super glue underneath. Press down hard for 10-20 seconds. I usually follow with a big rubber roller.

I also wipe down the Tolex with Windex before I start, just to make sure there is no residue and the cement sticks. Nothing worse than coming down on day two and all the edges have lifted.
1 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I absolutely never do any tolexing. Life's too short for that! I always use cabs that are already tolexed - sometimes even from donor amps, like the one in my profile picture.
2 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

Pressed_Rat
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by Pressed_Rat »

I kinda get exited when I’m starting a job, but when it’s done I don’t want to look at Tolex for a while.
Ditto. I also use the red can Weldwood. I have one more cab to do - head cab for a 2061X - and I am done.

Last one I did several years ago - a Supro 1688 Clone in a Fender narrow panel style cab. The front corners were the most difficult part. Actually the grill cloth is pretty tough too. Cut myself several times with the edges of the cloth.
Supro 1688TN w-Signal Generator.jpg
Supro 1688TN Rear View.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x