Newbie from UK

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon, CurtissRobin, colossal

lee

Newbie from UK

Post by lee »

Hi Guys/Girls, Im addicted to 18watt.com!! i just stumbled across this site in my search for an DIY amp build, I am very close to sending off my money to GDS amps for the 18watt full kit (combo) what advice can you offer me?
i have limited electronics expierience but am very keen to have a go, is it better to go for the kit? or source the parts yourself? i quite like the idea of making the cab myself, ive built some ver good 2x12 cabs and they doo look and sound excellent. Ive seen the pictures and read some reviews of the selfbuilds and im itching to go.
Any general advice would be most welcome.
Thanks

Lee.
0 x

Danhei
Unrated

Post by Danhei »

I'm currently tracking down some hum issues in my amp but it sounds good.

The nice thing with a kit is that the holes in the chassis are all punched. Drilling and punching the holes can be a time consuming and frustrating process. Especially if you don't have the right tools or alot of mechanical aptitude. Soldering and wiring aren't difficult but you need to be careful with the wire routing to prevent my problem: tracking down hums, buzzes, etc.

Paul Ruby has some good info before turning the project on:
http://rubyamplification.com/info.html#FirstPowerUp
Burning out a transformer is not cheap.

Dan
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

As long as you can solder reasonably OK, buy one of Graydon's kits for a pretty fail-safe build. Then you can house it one of your own cabinets, and save the cost of having a cab posted from the USA...
0 x