Advise on work done so far for this new project (15 Watts - M15Mk1)

Forum to discuss amp circuits besides the 18 Watters and their ilk.

Moderators: JMPGuitars, CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Advise on work done so far for this new project (15 Watts - M15Mk1)

Post by davemojo »

Hi All,

Please tell me if this post shouldn't go here since this build is actually a 15 Watts amp inspired to the British 18 watts style however is not exactly the same, so I decided to post here since on the 18Watts forum I had no one replying.

I have built lately other kit, including 18 Watts from Tube-Town which currently using as practice guitar amp.

Getting back to this build

this is a M15Mk1 MADAMP is a two-channel 15W guitar tube amp with "british" sound
What I like is but didn't test it yet is:

Channel 1 - is based on the Marshall 18W with additional "Fat" switch (Bass Boost). It provides power amp distortion at higher volumes (Clean at lower volumes).
Channel 2 - is based on the Marshall JTM, but provides more gain. It provides preamp distortion at low volumes.

What is it the issue?

Well I consider myself still a beginner learning a lot and some of the components used are not exactly the most common seen around on any typical 18 Watts, like the caps type used on this kit, since I don't feel 100% sure of what I have done so far I was wondering if you could check the board I built so far, I am uploading the schematics the layout for you to check + the photos of my actual board built so far.

There was an initial mistake on soldering the bus along the lugs it was wrong since some of the lugs that not supposed be be soldered they were soldered because of a mistake.

As a result I had to unsolder and since it was not easy for me i had to chop some lugs ruining the lug but it can still be utilized for the future connectivity when advancing with the build.

I also added the photos were the kit will go in an head amp + cabinet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Advise on work done so far for this new project (15 Watts - M15Mk1)

Post by JMPGuitars »

Patience, my friend. People are less likely to reply on atypical builds, and those that will reply will probably be slower to respond. I removed the double thread in the other forum.

The other thing is that there's no actual issue so far, except the one you mentioned and probably corrected. If we look at your photos, all we can really comment on is soldering quality, if leads look like they might be touching something they shouldn't, etc...

My suggestion is if you're concerned, do a highlighter test. If all is good, continue.

Thanks,
Josh
2 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Fri 10/29/21 6:20 am
Patience, my friend. People are less likely to reply on atypical builds, and those that will reply will probably be slower to respond. I removed the double thread in the other forum.

The other thing is that there's no actual issue so far, except the one you mentioned and probably corrected. If we look at your photos, all we can really comment on is soldering quality, if leads look like they might be touching something they shouldn't, etc...

My suggestion is if you're concerned, do a highlighter test. If all is good, continue.

Thanks,
Josh
Yes soldering sucks :-(, I have been watching so many videos and followed all best practices, including all your past suggestions, but soldering iron can be tedious for some people but I am better than before.

However there is something strange, I built so far 4 18 watts, + 2 other kits that didn't complete and sold, they were however halfway through.

somehow got used to the 18 watts schematics layout, components and find out that soldering on the turret board typically used on the 18 Watts is a lot easier now than soldering on this MADAMP Kit, this is something I have bought here in Europe Germany just out of curiosity, ain't no expecting a great sound out of it, my little kitchen living room practice amp lol.

It is now since a little while I am not using the amp just for my Organ as stated initially on some other posts, but bought an Epiphone Les Paul and learning guitar lol got into the guitar mania playing like a mad 4 hours a day lol and love it, of course I am learning, and at my age can take a while ...
1 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

davemojo wrote:
Sat 10/30/21 12:06 am
Yes soldering sucks :-(, I have been watching so many videos and followed all best practices, including all your past suggestions, but soldering iron can be tedious for some people but I am better than before.
I've you've been practicing, and watching the soldering videos, and still are struggling, you might need a better soldering iron. A mediocre soldering iron could certainly hold you back.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 10/30/21 8:00 am
davemojo wrote:
I've you've been practicing, and watching the soldering videos, and still are struggling, you might need a better soldering iron. A mediocre soldering iron could certainly hold you back.
And quality doesn't mean expensive per ce... my station costed 70€. I replaced my weller 40 watt for this corally 75W. It's just great!!!
16356266968354152775543240978643.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Bieworm wrote:
Sat 10/30/21 3:45 pm
And quality doesn't mean expensive per ce... my station costed 70€. I replaced my weller 40 watt for this corally 75W. It's just great!!!16356266968354152775543240978643.jpg
Agreed! There are great stations between $100 to $300 USD. My soldering station is only $300 with solder, desolder, and hot air. I use the Aoyue 2703A+, though stock might be an issue right now (don't buy it for more than $300). The Hakko FX888D-23BY is about $100, and that's supposed to be really good. I have a list of tools and test gear here: viewtopic.php?t=25173

Thanks,
Josh
2 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Bieworm wrote:
JMPGuitars wrote:
davemojo wrote:
And quality doesn't mean expensive per ce... my station costed 70€. I replaced my weller 40 watt for this corally 75W. It's just great!!!16356266968354152775543240978643.jpg
Hey long time :-) sure that can make the difference my workstation is a basic one, I would say from the average ones is one of the best, it cost me 50 euros. I already thought to upgrade.

Let me tell you something on the 18 Watts I got used to the positions of components, and the turret board type is easy to solder on it. On this new kit there is a different type of capacitors usually not commonly seen on those 18 Watts kits and at least for me the way you solder changes, it is all about practice of course. I am going to upgrade my soldering station soon that may help a little
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Sat 10/30/21 4:07 pm
Bieworm wrote:
Agreed! There are great stations between $100 to $300 USD. My soldering station is only $300 with solder, desolder, and hot air. I use the Aoyue 2703A+, though stock might be an issue right now (don't buy it for more than $300). The Hakko FX888D-23BY is about $100, and that's supposed to be really good. I have a list of tools and test gear here: viewtopic.php?t=25173

Thanks,
Josh
Yes definitely agreed to have a better soldering station my orientation for what I am doing would probably be to spend around 100 Euros which is is your 100$ for me is an investment for something that not 100% sure if i am going to continue building amps. I would say chances are yes since I love it. I can generally say my understanding about Tube Amps is a lot better and I want to improve :-)
2 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

davemojo wrote:
Sun 10/31/21 2:16 am
Bieworm wrote:
JMPGuitars wrote:

Hey long time :-) sure that can make the difference my workstation is a basic one, I would say from the average ones is one of the best, it cost me 50 euros. I already thought to upgrade.

Let me tell you something on the 18 Watts I got used to the positions of components, and the turret board type is easy to solder on it. On this new kit there is a different type of capacitors usually not commonly seen on those 18 Watts kits and at least for me the way you solder changes, it is all about practice of course. I am going to upgrade my soldering station soon that may help a little
Hey Davide!!!

This is mine. I came across this one 2nd hand for 20€. I bought it like a year ago.. very satisfied. Here is the website..
https://www.corally.com/Tools/Soldering ... Euro-plug/
0 x

davemojo
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by davemojo »

Hey guys this is the one I am using

It actually cost me 65 Eur I found a link that has a price in $$

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LONOVE-Solde ... /401445021
0 x
Davide Violante
Rockers&Rocks
www.rockers.rocks

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

20211103_213514.jpg
1 x