Installed a Weber Mini Mass in a classic 18W combo

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

bvayling
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Installed a Weber Mini Mass in a classic 18W combo

Post by bvayling »

Well, as one veteran pointed out on this forum, an 18w is still about 2/3 as loud as a JTM45. Which I naturally verified in short order after completing the build.

I wanted to use a Dr. Z Brake Lite, which I’ve used in another amp, but they have become ridiculously expensive. Thought of building one, but I have been getting good results using a Weber Mass Light with the JTM45, so I looked at the Mini Mass for my combo 18.

Dimensionally it seemed to check out on the web site so I ordered one. Turns out it was easy to fit onto the bottom rear panel. I kept the stock rubber feet, so there should be no rattle issues. There is just enough room at the bottom for two right angle 1/4” plugs in and out. Minimally invasive, which I like. Just 4 holes in the removable panel.

Placed where it is on the opposite side of the chassis from the PT, the added 3 lbs is at least balanced! Enough room to fit the power cords and trem pedal on the other side.

I also replaced the stock large round volume knob with a smaller chicken foot that I can feel with my hand.

Tone report when I can crank it up later today!
90704D05-74B6-4121-9314-1AFE21BE22EA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

ViperDoc
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Re: Installed a Weber Mini Mass in a classic 18W combo

Post by ViperDoc »

Very interested in how you like that.

And props for the Scumback M75, what a great speaker.
0 x

bvayling
Occasional poster
Occasional poster

Post by bvayling »

Got about an hour in so far with one guitar. Works as you would expect but still dialing it in. There are two treble range presets on the Mini. They don’t seem to do much. The Mass Lite has a continuously variable treble adjust that seems more responsive. However, different amp and different guitar. The guitar I am using here is a pretty dark humbucker model, which may have something to do with it.

Need to play it more. I find that in general, the 18 has a narrow usable volume range between just enough breakup and too much. Which is also why I wanted the attenuator for this, especially for recording.
2 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

bvayling wrote:
Wed 12/08/21 12:25 pm
I find that in general, the 18 has a narrow usable volume range between just enough breakup and too much. Which is also why I wanted the attenuator for this, especially for recording.
It sounds like you need to experiment more with the volume knob on the guitar. Pick attack will also directly effect how much breakup you get.
4 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

I've also had quite decent results using an 8-ohm in-wall attenuator from Radio Shreck
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp