Modulus 18watt lite

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Bionicrodent
Unrated

Modulus 18watt lite

Post by Bionicrodent »

Hello 👋
Does anyone on here have any experience with the 18watt kit available on modulus? I can’t find a schematic on the website but kinda looks like a lite2b. 1 pre 1 pi and 2xel84 power.
I’m uk based so not a lot of places to get kits from except modulus as far as I can see. I’m new to amp building but solder for a living so want to start off fairly simple.
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: Modulus 18watt lite

Post by Bieworm »

Ampmaker sells kits too

https://www.ampmaker.com/shop/p1800-18w ... amplifier/

That said... you should really alter your building process... getting into the process starts with getting to know your amp. Look for a schematic that suits your needs. There are plenty in the Downloads area on this site.
Then make a list of components ( avoid JJ tubes, they are nearly always included in the kits)
And then start building, slowly and tidy...
Trust me, that is the best way
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

AussieTim

Post by AussieTim »

I am in Australia and have bought parts from Modulus and have found everything I have got to be very good quality, I can imagine their kits will be good quality also.
My first amp build was a kit which I found good as all the work was done and I wasn't overwhelmed by component choices, I have sourced all my stuff in subsequent builds
I have built an amp cradle from their downloads and am currently building an 18 watt combo cabinet hope this helps
0 x

Bionicrodent
Unrated

Post by Bionicrodent »

That looks more like it, thanks!
Apparently they’re sold out currently, hopefully not for long 🙏
0 x

Bionicrodent
Unrated

Post by Bionicrodent »

Cheers for the tip Aussytim.
I was hoping to mod the modulus kit with a tmb tone stack and possibly an attenuator built into the head. Unfortunately, without a schematic, I’m not confident about how to go about this. Picked up a NOS British Millard today for v1!
Any advice on mods for the lite kit will be very well received.
1 x

AussieTim

Post by AussieTim »

My thoughts for what they are worth is for your first build, build a standard tried and true amp.
Once you know all the ins and outs of a ducks arse you can start modifying to suit.
Remember also that the amp you heard that drew you to wanting to build your own was probably a stock amp which had you saying "thats what I want"
A common trap for people starting any new project for the first time is to want to include all the bells and whistles, and ending up with an overly complicated build that is hard to diagnose problems with.
This can lead to frustration resulting in many people giving up on what can be a very fulfilling pastime.
I fell for the same trap with building pedals, I wanted to bung lots of switches and knobs into the circuit and ended up with a pile of half working pedals. I then had a rethink got a respected kit built a flawless pedal, then applied the knowledge I acquired to building working scratch built pedals
0 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

If it's your first build you better build the lite. Tmb and extra gain stages are more complex and more prone to noise..
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Yes, build the Lite IIb. You can't go wrong there and it will give you the "real deal" 18W experience (minus tremolo). My first 18W type amp was a Lite IIb and I never looked back! :D

BTW what's a "British Millard"? :lol:
2 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

JimbpGaff

Post by JimbpGaff »

I have bought from Modulus many times and Ampmaker too.
I am based in the UK.
My first build was a Two Stroke out of the back of Dave Hunters book and I had to source my components from all over the world as I had no clue whatsoever where to ghet them from locally.
I have built the Ampmaker 18 watt, not from Barrys kit but from parts I sourced myself and it is a great amp.
The above advice is what I would recommend - Build it basic, get to know and love it and then carry out small mods at a slow pace, one at a time .
Modulus do have layouts on their webpage or contact Michael via email and he may should be able to point you in the right direction.
Study the schematic and layouts, start building very slowly and double check everything you do as you go.
Enjoy the experience and watch out, amp building is addictive.
Jim
1 x