18 watt Tremolo TMB POI

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Re: 18 watt Tremolo TMB POI

Post by Bieworm »

ViperDoc wrote:
Wed 02/02/22 12:25 am
I'm no expert, and this may not be an issue, but your DP3T wiring changes the phase of the HT pair throughout the series. It's simple enough to wire them in a linear arrangement to enable a low-middle-high voltage design that retains the phase as below:

I'm interested in the brain trust's opinion. Looks like a cool option, especially the maintenance of full voltage on the preamp.
Thanks. The phase thing appears not to be any trouble. It works perfectly...
I don't think the double rectifier will be an option.. I have a bad feeling about that.
Anyway, I don't mind not having tremolo at 2W switching... and the amp sounds great with this attenuation anyway, so for me it's not necessary to only scale down the power amp.

But it got me thinking... when you use a normal 18W power transformer 290V-CT-290V.. you can apply the same logic and use the CT and one HT terminal to attenuate the amp at B+ level
One would have to use a FWB rectifier tho...
half power switch B+.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

By coincidence on my bench after a repair is a Tiny Terror. It has a two step power transformer which is described as 15w/7w. It is a simple application to all stages by switching the whole supply from the transformer. It works ok to manage high gain without quite so much volume.
This is actually quite a good amp with better (and well anchored) board than most "foreign" pcb amps. After two days of chasing an intermittent it was a coupling cap defect.

Dd
1 x

Bieworm
Verbose Moderator
Verbose Moderator

Post by Bieworm »

Daviedawg wrote:
Wed 02/02/22 3:23 am
By coincidence on my bench after a repair is a Tiny Terror. It has a two step power transformer which is described as 15w/7w. It is a simple application to all stages by switching the whole supply from the transformer. It works ok to manage high gain without quite so much volume.
This is actually quite a good amp with better (and well anchored) board than most "foreign" pcb amps. After two days of chasing an intermittent it was a coupling cap defect.

Dd
Yes, so simple and obvious..
Well, I could try this experiment by putting in a FWB rectifier and a DPDT switch in one of my 18/36 watt amps. It's not a lot of work and if the result is nice I'll let you know.
This means that on all amps with a HT center tap can easily be equipped with a satisfying half power switch..
1 x
"THIS should be played at high volume..preferably in a residential area"

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

That's a really cool idea!
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp