My first amp build works!!! Trinity amps Thor kit 18w JCM 800

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Re: My first amp build works!!! Trinity amps Thor kit 18w JCM 800

Post by zaphod_phil »

JMPGuitars wrote:
Mon 02/14/22 7:31 pm
Snoopzilla wrote:
Mon 02/14/22 6:59 pm
I was actually trying to order the mullard 12ax7 cv4004’s to try something new this time around but both places I normally order from were out of stock. I almost got stuck with just ordering JJ’s but I do not like most JJ tubes
JJs tubes have turned into trash, I'd avoid them completely.

The new production Mullard CV4004s are great. I'm using them for most of my preamp tubes these days. I think my most recent Tremolo TMB demo videos have them.

Thanks,
Josh
IMHO, leaving aside any reliability issues, JJ 12 AX7s sound OKish to me. They have a balanced tone, but sound a little blurry to me. Like I said,OKish, meaning not great. Meanwhile, the Russian-made fake Mullards sound awesome!! :D
1 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Snoopzilla wrote:
Tue 02/22/22 8:51 am
Well I scored this peavey 212-6 cab from guitar center (took my 20% coupon for it ) peavey wasn’t even on my radar but a greenback loaded cab for $470 after tax seemed like a good deal to me. Sounds awesome with the amp. Though I think I actually prefer it open back vs closed back (its convertible and can run stereo too). I find the closed back a little boxy sounding, not too bad though. Maybe I just have to get used to it as I’ve always had open back combo amps. Solid 18mm plywood constructed too
How about configuring it as a "detuned" cab?
2 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

geoff 1965 wrote:
Mon 02/14/22 12:08 pm
Nice build, Trinity have some cool amps and access to the schematic/layouts. Which values did you use for the cold clipper?
So, what's your experience been with the Clipper resistor switch? do you find it useful and do you prefer the 10k (Marshall) position or the 31k (Mesa/SLO)?

Enquiring minds would like to know :)
1 x

geoff 1965
Verbose poster
Verbose poster

Post by geoff 1965 »

Yeah did you experiment with the values i.e. the schematic shows switching between Marshall 10K and 31K, also the layout shows more options 10K,soldano 39K and aggressive 5K.
0 x

Snoopzilla
Unrated

Post by Snoopzilla »

zaphod_phil wrote:
Wed 02/23/22 4:12 pm
geoff 1965 wrote:
Mon 02/14/22 12:08 pm
Nice build, Trinity have some cool amps and access to the schematic/layouts. Which values did you use for the cold clipper?
So, what's your experience been with the Clipper resistor switch? do you find it useful and do you prefer the 10k (Marshall) position or the 31k (Mesa/SLO)?

Enquiring minds would like to know :)

I stuck to the layout values. (So 10k Marshall and 39k Slo) I prefer the Marshall setting for most things but the 39k slo setting is cool too, it cuts gain just a hair and smooths it out a little.
Going to try 5k sometime, see if I can squeeze
Just a little more gain out of her. Not that I find myself really needing more. I am finding boosting it with my way huge saucy box or earthquaker plumes (their take on a tubescreamer) gets me into modernist metal gain level when I feel the urge. But I just prefer the amp cranked by itself. It does sound pretty good at low volumes but definitely sounds better turned up some. I haven’t cranked it past 5 yet as that’s where it starts to hurt my ears too much (need to find some ear plugs, but don’t really see the point at that point) really loving this amp. Far exceeded my expectations. Will make a demo this weekend
2 x

Snoopzilla
Unrated

Post by Snoopzilla »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v0_5DWZRA ... e=youtu.be

Quick and dirty demo (nothing too fancy) I just did with my iPhone. Stuck to heavier/High gain sounds that trinity didn’t cover in their videos much. Just straight into amp no effects. Started on the Marshall clipping setting and flipped between the 2. The Marshall setting has a slight volume boost.
2 x

googoo
Unrated

Post by googoo »

Thanks for putting up the demo! Unfortunately, it seems the supply chain challenges have really impacted Trinity's ability to offer kits right now. I am interested in building this, but now am considering a plan B, perhaps even a 50W kit - I'd plan on using an attenuator either way.

One interesting thing about this kit is that the design came from Rob Robinette's site. I had asked him about the Thor kit and at the time he was unaware that Trinity was using (and giving proper attribution to) this design. https://robrobinette.com/RR2104_Master_Volume_Micro.htm
1 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

The Rumors are true! Mullard and Tung Sol tubes are indeed relabeled Sovteks.
To my ears, the modern"Tung Sol" 12 AX7s sound a bit ice-picky,while the "Mullards" have excellent tonal balance. both brands sound incredibly clear. the JJs sound foggy by comparison
YMMV
1 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Snoopzilla wrote:
Sat 02/26/22 8:43 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v0_5DWZRA ... e=youtu.be

Quick and dirty demo (nothing too fancy) I just did with my iPhone. Stuck to heavier/High gain sounds that trinity didn’t cover in their videos much. Just straight into amp no effects. Started on the Marshall clipping setting and flipped between the 2. The Marshall setting has a slight volume boost.
I hate to tell you that your iPhone audio hasn't done your amp any favours and the result sounds really rough, with no dynamics,probably due to the iPhone audio getting over-saturated. Searching on You Tube for "Trinity Thor Demo" yields a much clearer high-gain demo which simply screams!!! Lots of dynamics too! the best mini-JCM" demo I've ever come across
1 x