Epiphone Valve Standard to 18W TMB Conversion

18watt-specific Tech Talk - Building, Fixing, Parts, Mods...

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

JCM-800
Unrated

Post by JCM-800 »

I have been studying this thread carefully.

I've replaced the bias resistor with a diff value someone from another site suggested (and even sold me the part) as it would crap out running full bore, and this helped alot (still cuts out on occasion)

I also just removed the DSP board, but am still having problems with a farty/crackly noise when the gain is up all the way and the master is around 2/3s. When it crackles, the DSP LED actually flickers...?

Any ideas on that?

Plan to put some JJ EL84's in and get a V30 for it. Would like to try alot of the other mods listed for fun.
0 x
Hearing music through your ears is not the same as feeling it in your BONES.

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

Crackliness with the flickering LED suggests a bad joint, loose connector or damaged PCB track somewhere, when the louder playing vibrates the board more.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

lapslide
Unrated

Epiphone Valve Standard modifications

Post by lapslide »

Hello all,
Has anyone done up a final version of the modifications for the Epi Valve Standard that are known to work, i.e gone through all of these posts to gather the relevant circuit changes and produced a clean guide?
I've grabbed what I think are final versions and notes, will print out and go through them to see if I can reduce it to one set - but would prefer not to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.

Cheers,
Donn in BC
0 x

bigjoe

Post by bigjoe »

At some point the board went down, and I wasn't sure if it would be back up. I didn't have e-mail for anyone, so I pulled the PCB and built an 18 watt board for my EPI.

Not much help I know, but I didn't really do anything with the EPI specific mods myself.
0 x

dthill
Unrated

Post by dthill »

I'd be interested inn the same thing for Epi Valve Special.

Though, I guess I could use it for a 18watter...........

dth 8)
0 x

zaphod_phil
Builder, Admin
Builder, Admin

Post by zaphod_phil »

lapslide wrote:Has anyone done up a final version of the modifications for the Epi Valve Standard that are known to work, i.e gone through all of these posts to gather the relevant circuit changes and produced a clean guide?
What's in the thread is all that we've got. There's a similar thread on PPwatt.com, since the discussion took place around the time that 18watt.com spawned off PPwatt, SEwatt and the other wattkin sites. I think that thread has a summary of the mods to convert the Valve Standard into a single-channel 18W TMB amp. However, the thing to be real careful of is not to break the PCB. 8O It's pretty thin.
dthill wrote:I'd be interested inn the same thing for Epi Valve Special.

Though, I guess I could use it for a 18watter...........
IIRC is a single-ended amp, kind of like the Valve Standard's preamp with the Valve Jr's 5W power amp. If so, there's a similar thread on SEwatt.com, again from around the same time period, for that amp. Of course if you wanted to gut it out and put in an 18W SuperLite TMB board say, that would be fine as well, although you would also need to change at least one of the transformers.
0 x
Nature abhors a clean tube amp

CudBucket
Unrated

Re: Epiphone Valve Standard to 18W TMB Conversion

Post by CudBucket »

Hey all. Late to the party as usual. :)

A friend just gave me a "non-working" valve standard combo. No speaker in it. Thought I'd take a crack at fixing it. I've tested nothing so far. I've just begun researching the amp and found this thread.

A few years ago I bought a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL and learned a ton as I fixed the bias drift issue and did a few mods. So I'm not really a noob.

After reading this thread I'm pretty sure it might make more sense to just use the chassis and cabinet as a platform for an 18 watt build. So that said, where should I look for the parts? Is there an 18 watt kit?

As for the amp in it's present condition, everything looks fine apart from what looks like a burned disc cap on T6 that is wire to the heater quick connect. Not in the schematic as far as I can tell. No burns on the boards anywhere. Fuses are good and everything is really clean.

Anyway, I'll post pics later but I'm torn between the new build and fixing this first. Then, maybe doing some mods.

Thoughts?

PS BigJoe, where did you get your 18 watt TMB?

Thanks again.

Dave
0 x