Source for connectors

General Tech Discussion - Anything amp-ish goes!

Moderators: CurtissRobin, colossal, zaphod_phil, Daviedawg, Graydon

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Source for connectors

Post by Daviedawg »

Just finishing a repair of a Marshall Class 5. The quality of components is much better than on more recently manufactured amps I have seen recently.

Anyway I need to source some connectors which go onto pins which stand up off the board. They are light years better than man's worst enemy the spade connector. The pin measures 2.3mm or so diameter. The female is a black plastic slip on thing which clips over a wee bulge near the tip (yes that is what it looks like). Pic of clip below I hope. Does anyone know what they are called and a potential source? I have exhausted my online patience.

Thanks.

Dd
C5 05.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Re: Source for connectors

Post by JMPGuitars »

For help with that, you should post both ends of the connectors, the side angle, and the tip view. There's too many similar things to go off from that one image.
0 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction
Amplifier Tools & Parts Info

Web Design: DolceVittoria.com
Guitars / Amps / Effects: JMPGuitars.com
(anti)Social: Facebook · Instagram
Items for Sale

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

Yes Josh. I have a distant shot of the output board. I would do better but the amp was needed on Friday evening so I fitted a temporary output tranny with spades onto the pins. Looks ugly but works. The only pic I have is that one. I thought that would be enough for me to find the things.

The PT has four on the secondaries to the board but has spades on the primary side to the switch and supply. Those are the pic above. The output board has two pairs of pins one the audio out and one for the dummy load. There are two pins on the main board for the power to the OT. See in the pic below.

The nearest I have come is a car fanatic friend who says his Unimog has them. So maybe that will be fruitful.

Thanks.

Dd
image2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

Did you measure the spades on the PCB with your caliper? If you don't want to replace them with a direction connection, you could replace them with any similar type connectors of a similar size.
1 x
'I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious.' - Steven Wright

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

Thanks for your help again Josh. I thought at first that I would be able to use spades and I have a big selection, some of which slide nicely onto the pins. But they just take up too much width and need too much height in one case. The result is bent spades which work but look horrible. And need the output board out to fit and remove. So the amp is working and sounding fine but still needs the permanent OT replacement to complete the repair properly. So when that arrives I would like to have a proper solution. I have some ideas to try and the owner would like a couple of mods to tighten the bass and perk up the treble. So its time will come.

Three weeks to go and counting.

Dd
0 x

JMPGuitars
Super Duper Admin
Super Duper Admin

Post by JMPGuitars »

I would look at something from Molex, they have a TON of options using crimp+housing stuff, like this: https://www.molex.com/molex/products/pa ... 0351500100

All you need to do is determine the wire gauge, and hole diameter on the PCB to see what will properly fit.
0 x

Modern Ground Schemes
Soldering Technique
B+ Voltage Reduction

Items for Sale

lavrgs
The MAN

Post by lavrgs »

I've become a fan of Google Eye - take a picture then open it in Google photos and it will search for things that look like it...unfortunately the picture of the connector above didn't work well. Maybe having both ends would help
0 x

Daviedawg
Superior Amp Tech
Superior Amp Tech

Post by Daviedawg »

My first intention is not to replace the pins if possible. But it may come to that.

The OT has bare wires but I will not know the size until it arrives. I have asked but silence so far. I suspect the seller does not know either until it comes into stock.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will be patient until the part comes at which point I can sort an answer.

Dd
1 x